Meet a Roo: Sydney Henry

With the volleyball season starting strong, Henry hopes for more
Biology+major+and+UMKC+volleyball+player%2C+Sydney+Henry%2C+wants+to+help+her+team+make+it+far+in+the+Summit+League+Conference+tournament.+
Julia Kapros
Biology major and UMKC volleyball player, Sydney Henry, wants to help her team make it far in the Summit League Conference tournament.

Standout student-athlete and biology major, Sydney Henry, hopes to assist the Roo’s volleyball team in collegiate conference success this season. 

“If we all stick together like we have been and keep working hard with the same mindset of wanting to be good and having to grind to get there I think we can get to the conference [championship],” Henry said. 

Henry described how being a setter gives her the opportunity to be a good team leader and create a sense of urgency for her teammates. She hopes to inspire a work ethic that can carry them to the top of this year’s volleyball conference.

Henry sets the ball for her teammate to spike at practice. (Julia Kapros)

Winning the home game Saturday, Oct. 14 against South Dakota, one of the best Summit League teams, is an integral part of making it to the conference championships. Henry said that it is one of the games the team hopes to get the most support from student fans.

Henry’s mother, and role model for as long as she can remember, introduced her to volleyball and acted as her second-grade coach.

“She used to be a college coach. She introduced the game to me, and she’s been a really good mentor throughout my whole life,” Henry said.

Henry is inspired by her old club teammate, and favorite player, Alexis Stucky, a setter for Florida University. The UMKC athlete also made sure to shout out her Uncle Mike.

After graduation, Henry is planning to complete a physician’s assistant program. 

Outside of volleyball, Henry’s hobbies include spending time outdoors and reading Colleen Hoover books, preferably at the same time.