Denver Snaps Roos’ Six-Game Win Streak in Quarterfinal Fight

Kansas City men’s basketball’s season ended in heartbreaking fashion as the Pioneers upset the Roos
Mikayla Farage
The Roos huddle before the game.

A phenomenal regular season ends in disappointment as the Roos fall to the Denver Pioneers by 1 point, 61-60.

A three-point shot made by senior guard Isaiah Addo-Ankrah with 5.9 seconds left would seal the game for the Pioneers. 

In the final seconds, graduate guard Khristion Courseault had his layup attempt blocked by junior forward Pedro Lopez-Sanvicente and recovered by freshman guard DeAndre Craig.

In the post-game press conference, head coach Marvin Menzies repeatedly stated that he loved his players. He also stated that he feels the team is improving.

“In year two, we’re headed in the right direction,” Menzies said. “A seven-seed isn’t really a seven-seed with this kind of conference this year. They’re all capable of beating anybody on any given night.”

During Denver’s press conference, head coach Jeff Wulbrun spoke about his message to the Pioneers before the game.

“I told them, “we’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain,”” said Wulbrun. “There is very little difference between the seed lines in the league this year, but as the seven-seed, the pressure is usually on the higher seed.”

Both coaches mentioned the small difference between seeds. The Roos went 10-6 in conference while the Pioneers went 6-10.

Meanwhile, what coach Wulbrun mentioned that was avoided by coach Menzies was the pressure.

Kansas City received its highest seeding in the Summit League since the 2005 conference tournament. This did not go unnoticed by the local media. 

Sports Radio 810 WHB interviewed coach Menzies on Wednesday. The Kansas City Star wrote several articles about the Roos. It is possible that this pressure was felt by the team.

What many failed to remember is how the 2005 Summit League – previously Mid-Continent Conference- tournament ended for Kansas City. Its opponent was the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, who have since moved to the Horizon League. The Roos were the second seed while the Golden Grizzlies were the seventh seed.

The Roos lost the game against Oakland 67-63.

Kansas City has not won a Summit League tournament game since its 2007 quarterfinal game against Valparaiso. In the semifinal, the team again lost to Oakland. 

Regardless of the heartbreak, coach Menzies will continue to prepare for next season. He mentioned in his post-game interview that there would be a short time to rest, but the team would be back at practice soon.

Both the men’s and women’s teams will be back on the court in November.