XURA: A Unique Sound in the Modern Music Medley

The KC artist is steadily growing his fanbase by offering connection through meaningful lyrics.
Guhr+is+working+on+new+music+for+the+future+with+hopes+to+find+stability+in+the+KC+music+scene.+
Julius Briscoe
Guhr is working on new music for the future with hopes to find stability in the KC music scene.

Known for crafting emotive tracks that blend pop-punk, dark-pop and Victorian punk rock, XURA has always had plans to make a statement in the music industry with his distinctive sound.

XURA, known offstage as Hayden Guhr, knew from early on that he wanted to pursue his passion of music. Taking inspiration from popular bands in the 2000s such as Fall Out Boy and Panic! At The Disco, he bought FL Studio, a digital audio workstation, and began making beats. 

He has been making songs since 2021 and his most recent release, “Toxic Introspective Into A Healthy Relationship,” just hit streaming services this month. 

The track explores the complexities of being in a relationship, pulling from the artist’s own struggles and emotional turmoil.

“When I think of a song, and I think of how I want to do it, I think of my personal experiences, and I don’t think that it’s going to relate to anyone,” Guhr said. “But then it does.”  

The artist shared that the underlying message is about introspection and the challenges of balancing emotions with another person.

“My last long-term relationship was very unhealthy,” Guhr said. “So it’s kind of set the ball on every exceeding relationship.”

One notable part of Guhr’s approach is his connection with the audience.

In a digital age dominated by algorithms and automation, he takes a direct approach, reaching out to fans indi

XURA has over 200 monthly listeners. (Provided by XURA)

vidually to promote his music.

Despite being a self-described “shy person,” he expressed a desire to venture into live performances. 

“I think I just haven’t, you know, given myself the opportunity to reach out,” Guhr said. “But I know people that could get me access [to playing shows].”

When asked about the importance of these local shows and the scene at large, Guhr believes that local music and musicians are the backbone of the music world.  

“Helping other people,” Guhr said in regard to local musicians, “will always come back around to you in the end.”

Guhr shared that he has upcoming projects and collaborations, including a potential collaboration with another local musician, Nasty Nick. Guhr hopes to evolve artistically while staying true to his passion for creating music that resonates with listeners.

Find his work wherever you stream music under the artist name “XURA” and on Instagram here

If you know or are a musician or creative on campus, reach out to me at the email below.

View Comments (2)