A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

UMKC’s Women’s Center Brightens Campus with Spring Clothes Swap and Color Analysis Event

Students discover their true colors, embracing confidence and sustainability.
A+student+testing+out+the+colors.+
Amina Shaw
A student testing out the colors.

It was all giggles in the Women’s Center last Tuesday afternoon during their Spring Clothes Swap and Color Analysis event.

Students and staff bantered over whether participants were “warm spring” or “cool summer.” The backroom overflowed with donated clothing items. Cards with different hues of the rainbow and a cutout for the face scattered along the tables as students waited patiently to find their season.

The clothes brought by staff and students.
Amina Shaw

Color analysis attempts to divide people into different color seasons based on skin tone and undertones. Each season, spring, summer, autumn and winter, is associated with a specific color palette that compliments the skin’s natural colors.

“Sometimes it takes a team. Some people’s colors aren’t very obvious. Undertones are the hardest choice to make,” said Senior Program Coordinator Cheslie Duckworth. She and her staff huddled around each participant as they judged which hue looked best.  

“It does make a difference. We have all played with our colors and makeup shades. It’s a lot of fun,” Duckworth said.

Duckworth experienced her first color analysis at a party and said it just made sense with Financial Wellness and Career Services week to host a clothing swap and incorporate the trendiness of the color analysis.

The staff of the Women's Center try out the different schemes.
Amina Shaw

“We just want people to feel their best. When you look your best, you feel your best” Duckworth said. “Adding the color analysis was a way to show how you can feel and look your best when going in for a job interview. If you’re feeling confident, you’re going to do better.”

Hannah Said, a senior economics student who participated in the color analysis and was deemed a “light summer,” said she found a few pieces to add to her wardrobe.

“I’ve been really big into thrifting more,” Said said.

The environmental impact that buying new clothing has on the earth has inspired her to update her wardrobe more sustainably.

“I wanted to find clothes that make me feel my best self, and also try to do my little part in the world,” Said said.

Professional clothing items left over from the clothing swap will be donated to the Professional Wardrobe Studio located in the Spencer Chemistry Building room 426.

For more information on the Women’s Center, check out their Roo Groups