The End of the Semester is Here, but Don’t Panic– There is Help!

ASM-SI, Tutoring and the Writing Studio are Resources for UMKC students to Use
Luis Marin
Navigating the Semester’s Homestretch: UMKC Academic Support and Mentoring (ASM) Offers Essential Resources for Student Success Amidst Midterms and Thanksgiving Break.

Thanksgiving break is the beginning of the end of the semester for students at UMKC.

It’s normal to feel overwhelmed at this point in the semester, but students should not panic. UMKC Academic Support and Mentoring (ASM) wants to help them during this time.

According to ASM staff, the program offers a range of services to help students meet their academic goals.

“Our mission is to provide innovative support services and resources to ensure educational access and personal success for every student,” says Lauren Lolis Orozco, senior student support specialist. “We don’t want to constrain them. We don’t want to put them on a scale or compare them. We just want to help them and become the best versions of themselves.”

According to Chanté Evans, academic support coordinator for Supplemental Instruction (SI) and Tutoring, SI was created at UMKC by Dr. Deanna Martin in 1973. Since its creation, SI has become an international program with national centers in Canada, South Africa, Sweden, the UK and Australia.

SI is founded on the principle of targeting traditionally difficult courses rather than “at risk” students.” 

“While SI is more group-based, UMKC Tutoring is typically more individualized,” Evans said.“The tutor is able to process the material alongside you and cater to your specific needs.”

SI sessions are group-based study sessions facilitated by a near-peer or student who has taken the course before and excelled in it.

SI and Tutoring are located on the 4th floor of the library in rooms 420 and 422. To book tutoring appointments or view available SI sessions, download the app, RooLearning+.

Another great resource for students that ASM provides is The Writing Studio.

“Evidence has shown that students who visit writing studios frequently show the most improvement in their writing skills,” said Fiona Slaughter, The Writing Studio graduate assistant. “Visit us early in the semester and often.”

The employees at the writing studio help with more than just writing projects. The program offers peer consultation for any type of communication related writing. This includes, but isn’t limited to research papers, presentations, job applications, or even personal projects like novels and songs.

“We are here to provide a reader’s perspective, help you develop your ideas, and celebrate your successes,” Slaughter said. 

Students can send an email to [email protected] or visit their locations at ASSC, MNL, or Johnson Hall to begin the process.

For more information about ASM click here.