A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Aydan Stigler and Grace BeshoreMarch 14, 2024

A new reading initiative is taking shape on the UMKC campus

RoosRead chooses inaugural book recommendation
Bre Blankenship
UMKC’s RoosRead gathers students and staff for a year-long literary journey and a page-turning community.

UMKC unveiled a new initiative this year called RoosRead. The program is aimed to encourage students and staff to read a recommended book, fostering a sense of community and belonging by creating a campus-wide book club. 

The Office of the Chancellor launched the program, and it is facilitated by the Division of Diversity and Inclusion.

“This is not your average book club with strict timelines as all are welcome to read the title over the course of the year. On the purpose of the initiative,” said J. Camille Hall, committee member and vice chancellor for diversity and inclusion. “When people have some shared goal, it builds a shared identity.”

The initial title chosen was, “I Never Thought Of It That WayHow to Have Fearlessly Curious Conversations in Dangerously Divided Times,” by Mónica Guzmán. 

This was not a quick or unanimous decision. Hall reached out to all of the deans, directors and department heads asking them to suggest one person each to participate in the decision making process. ​​With over 96 submissions made to the committee that voted on the recommended reading, the final call was narrowed down to one that stood out most. 

To kick off the launch of RoosRead, the group’s leaders hosted a breakfast in the Student Union on Sept. 23.

Now that the semester is in full swing, word has started to spread, and more students are getting their hands on a copy. Excitement is building as the author is scheduled to visit the UMKC campus on Oct. 12. 

Students, staff and alumni are encouraged to attend and can expect a fulfilling evening. There will be guided conversations with intercultural dialogues, workshops and the author will read excerpts from the book.  

“In my estimation, it’ll spark curiosity and interest not just about the book, but about life and how you build relationships,” Hall said. “We want students to walk away with the sense that the administration cares for them and wants them to get a comprehensive educational experience here at UMKC, which means: we hear you, we see you.”

Beginning Oct. 10 and running throughout the entire academic year, the program will offer virtual discussion groups for everyone, even if they have not read the book. 

Registration can be found on the RoosRead site.