Pedro Rodriguez.
Finding a New Home
Gracey Saavedra, Staff Writer • November 17, 2023

UMKC senior and finance major Pedro Rodiguez knows first-hand how difficult it can be to assimilate into a new university.    As a...

The Epperson House is closed to visitors, but can be seen from the distance around campus.
The Spooky History of the Castle on Campus
Aurora Wilson, Lifestyle and Culture Editor • October 31, 2023

Located at the corner of Cherry and 52 St., the Epperson House looms over UMKC’s campus, haunting students who dare to walk past it.    Construction...

Dr. Villamandos and Dr. Grieco in front of Sancho Panza in the Twentieth Century
UC Berkeley Art Historian To Speak on Historic Haag Murals
Lauren Zoller, Staff Writer • October 30, 2023

A University of California Berkeley art historian will present her research on Luis Quintanilla, a world-renowned artist whose murals have...

Tayler and the cast sit as they prepare for more filming.
You Are Now Leaving Godly
Lydia Schneider, Staff Writer • October 20, 2023

Tayler Gilbert, UMKC senior and professional photographer, is putting the final touches on his new film, “Welcome to Godly.”    Gilbert...

Abigail Weiler holds her business card.
Clayful by Abbie
Gracey Saavedra, Staff Writer • October 18, 2023

Abigail Weiler, fourth-year political science and French major at UMKC, delivers confidence in the form of handmade polymer clay jewelry.    Her...

Review: “MACBITCHES” is the Theater Show College Students Need

This production at the Unicorn Theater highlights the intricacies of university theater.
Unicorn Theatre/Cynthia Levin
The cast of MACBITCHES

You don’t want to miss “MACBITCHES” at the Unicorn Theatre in downtown KC. 

This dark comedy stars Hannah Elizabeth Freeman who plays the protagonist, Hailey, a freshman who scored the lead role in their university’s production of “Macbeth.” Naturally, all of the upper-class women in the theater department seeth with jealous rage.  

In an attempt to break Hailey down, four of the older girls invite her to hang out and partake in an evening of drinking.

“Dynamically, it’s a really interesting story,” said Director Sidonie Garrett. “We are looking at these five women, all of whom have their own issues, their own problems, challenges, successes and dreams.”

Naive Hailey has no idea that a few of these new “friends” have malicious plans to sabotage her role in the play. 

She is joined by Rachel (Leah Dalrymple), a senior who is seemingly the “Regina George” of the group. Her subordinates are Piper (Hayley Johnson), Cam (Un Joo Christopher) and Lexi (Erin Viets).

This show shocked me in so many ways. The five actresses were all so uniquely talented, yet all shared the same likable “star quality” that kept the audience captivated. 

Right from the start, you see the dynamics of these characters and how there is a clear hierarchy between all of them.

“It’s sort of about all levels of society in that way. There are people who succeed at everything,” Garrett said. “What happens when they don’t?” 

Throughout the night, they gossip about the entire department as they heavily drink. The drunk conversations lead to secrets being spilled and heated disputes between characters.

One actress in particular stood out to me. Erin Viets played the closest friend to Rachel out of the others. Viets caught my attention with every line and facial expression. 

Although the show is Shakespeare-centered, college students can relate to the characters more than they would think. 

“Shakespeare is important to college kids because he’s a staple in theatrical history,” said UMKC freshman Katie Hurd. “Learning and understanding his verse work is a great way to familiarize ourselves with that type of storytelling.”

I recommend this show not only if you are a theater nerd, but if you want a good laugh too.

If finances are preventing you from seeing the show, Unicorn Theater has a “pay what you can” program to make viewing accessible to all.

Click here to keep up with the Unicorn Theater.