A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Review: X-Men’s Explosive Comeback

The iconic 90s show returns with a sequel series and dominates Disney Plus
Troi Buford
The show has brought back an old fanbase as well as bringing in new fans.

“X-Men ‘97’s” incredible return to the television screen has caught many people off guard. 

Most people have lost faith in Disney’s ability to make quality TV shows after a series of financial and critical flops. After shows like “Echo” and “Secret Invasion,” the thought of the most popular version of the X-Men returning was terrifying.

However, since its premiere last week, all episodes of ‘97 have received nothing but love. The first two episodes brought in more than 4 million views which is the biggest animated premiere on Disney+ since their “What-If” series. 

The series currently has a 98% critic score and a 94% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. Even on IMDB, which is usually harsher than Rotten Tomatoes, each episode has been given a high rating.

The first episode was everything I could have hoped for. It felt good to see all of my favorite characters such as Storm, Magneto and Cyclops in material that respects them.

The original films may be beloved, but anyone who’s seen X-Men content, shows or comics, knows that the movies didn’t do most of these characters justice.

In the second episode, the audience sees the team deal with a January 6-type situation where a group of anti-mutant bigots storm a courthouse. The racism and civil rights allegories that X-Men is well known for are on full display here. 

The main villain for the episode, The X-Cutioner, even goes on an anti-mutant rant that sounds similar to what many Black, Indigenous and people of color have heard sometime in their lives: “Know what I hate about your kind? It’s the whining. I hate your whining just as much as I hate you.” 

This kind of speech mirrors what’s read and heard online when any attention is given to an issue these groups have.

After a shocking moment occurs, it appears Magneto is about to return to his old villainous ways and kill the X-Cutioner. However, Magneto gives a speech in front of the judges. He asks that people simply accept that the world is a shared home for mutants and humans. He admits he’s trying to be a better man but if they force his hand, he’ll kill them all. 

I felt like this moment hit home for anyone who’s a part of a marginalized group. Here we have someone who has the power to stop those who want to see his people dead, but he’s forced to take the high road. 

I also believe everyone can relate to someone trying to become a better person, although most people haven’t been former supervillains. 

With how great this show has been so far, it may be a sign that Disney is finally focusing on quality. It’s only a matter of time until the X-Men make their debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and if they’re anything like ‘97, we may have some great movies to look forward to.