A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

UMKC Organizations “Take Back the Night” to Participate in National Sexual Violence Awareness Month

RISE, SGA, UMKC Panhellenic Council, the Women’s Center, UMKC LGBTQIA+, MOCSA and FSA host this event to stand against sexual violence.
Take+Back+the+Night+is+a+nationwide+event+that+aims+to+stop+sexual+and+domestic+violence.+
Sydney Siemens
“Take Back the Night” is a nationwide event that aims to stop sexual and domestic violence.

Join students as they “Take Back the Night,” one of the nation’s oldest worldwide movements against sexual violence this evening, Wednesday April 17. 

The event will be held at the University Playhouse from 6:30-9:30 p.m., where participants can make signs, listen to guest speakers from Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault (MOCSA) and march together across campus in solidarity to stand up to sexual violence. 

“It’s not easy to discuss domestic violence, and it’s also not easy to heal from that either. But I feel like if we come together it would just show unity, which is what we all want to accomplish,” former Student Government Association President Ophelia Griffin said.

For the first hour of the event, there will be sign making, a resource fair and refreshments. Speeches will start at 7:30 p.m. followed with the walk and a vigil.

Take Back The Night’s global mission is to end all forms of sexual violence. The CDC shows that 41% of women worldwide have endured some kind of sexual or domestic violence.

Assistant Director for Fraternity and Sorority Affairs Lynne O’Dell said students from the Panhellenic community were interested in bringing the event back to campus. 

According to O’Dell, they chose to incorporate the event into Greek Week, but also invite other organizations to allow for collaboration and awareness of the program.

“Student solidarity is so important,” Griffin said. “Having college students stand with a whole community of people who have gone through that– that’s even more important.” 

Students can RSVP for the event on RooGroups

To learn more about the worldwide organization, click here