The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

SGA picks a Press Secretary and hears Legislation Proposals

With a focus on SGA’s environmental impact and outreach responsibilities, the Senators discussed the future of UMKC
Ellen Beshuk
Brett Boyer (right) said his goal when joining SGA was to advocate for the needs of the student body. Now he said he can no longer lead the senate in this mission.

Senators and Executives met on Sept. 11 at 6 p.m. in the Student Union to progress legislation and elect a new position. 

Yasmen Hassen (right) is a part of Roo Red, a group that advocates for free menstrual products on campus. Here she was able to grow her digital marketing and leadership skills. (Ellen)

After being nominated by SGA President Ophelia Griffen, Yasmen Hassen was unanimously confirmed as the new Press Secretary.

The Senators were impressed with her marketing skills and previous commitment to UMKC’s community. 

“I think that SGA should be the student organization that represents all students,” Hassen said. “I commit to fostering that sort of environment.”

Senator Shewit Abai again presented the legislation to add a tip box to campus. If passed, this would add a QR code linked to a form where students could submit complaints. A new position or committee would be created to filter through the anonymous submission. 

“How can we claim to represent a student body and make changes on the behalf of them if there’s is no way to hear from them,” Abai said. 

The Pay Senators Act which aimed to create a wage for Senators failed in committee. 

Other items covered included: 

• The newly elected directors of first-year council are planning to interview 22 members and hope to have a complete council by next week. 
  • The Senate created a petition for the Truth over Troost Act which was signed by Griffen.
  • Sept. 19 is National Voter Registration Day. 
  • Senator Elliot Smith brought attention to the plastic confetti used for the UMKC and Chiefs partnership celebration last Thursday. The confetti is still on the streets and is blowing around campus. 
  • The Environmental Student Council is able to provide compostable cutlery to any UMKC organization catering an event. 
  • SGA is pushing for the university to keep LEED certification in mind when deciding what may be developed on the 51 street lot.
  • The Executive Board met with the mayor and presented to the Board of Curators before their meeting.