A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Women’s basketball: Kansas City clinches spot in postseason tournament

The Roos will play their first matchup on March 17. (Julia Kapros/Roo News)

Despite falling just short of qualifying for the NCAA tournament, the Roos basketball team has earned a spot in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament.

The Roos were one of 34 teams that earned an at-large bid. At-large selections are chosen after consideration of a mix of criteria by WNIT officials. 

With a 23-8 record, the Roos had an impressive resume that met the requirements for the invitational. 

“We are thrilled to welcome each of these 64 programs to the Postseason WNIT, as they’ve all had to confront pandemic challenges while continuing to put in work in the classroom and on the court in representing their schools,” said Jared Rudiger, the event director for the WNIT. “But through it all the level of basketball skill just keeps escalating, and that should make the WNIT an exciting showcase as teams dig deep for a memorable championship run.”

The first round of the tournament will begin on March 16. Kansas City will kick off its tournament play on Thursday, March 17, with a matchup against Northern Iowa at 7 p.m.