Men’s basketball: Kansas City dominates Mizzou in stunning 80-66 road win

Marvin Nesbitt Jr. recorded 20 points in Monday’s victory. (Kansas City Basketball’s Twitter)

The Kansas City Roos secured a win against the Missouri Tigers on Monday night, upsetting the almost 12-point favorites in Columbia. 

Phenomenal performances from Roos guards Evan Gilyard II and Marvin Nesbitt Jr. paved the way for the 80-66 win. The duo combined for 48 of the team’s 80 points, and Gilyard netted a near career-high 28 points while shooting 75% from beyond the arc.

Nesbitt’s stats were equally impressive, recording five rebounds, four assists and three steals. 

“I feel like you can never count us out,” Nesbitt said after the game. “That’s how we always play. We expected a fight and we executed the game plan.”

Kansas City was in the driver’s seat for nearly the entire game, holding the lead for over 35 minutes after going up 7-6 early. 

This is the first time the Roos have beaten a Power Five school in six years and Kansas City’s second straight win against Missouri. The two teams last faced off in 2014, with the Roos narrowly winning 69-61.

Coach Billy Donlon also recorded his first career win against a Power Five school with the 14-point victory. Now in his third year at UMKC, Donlon complimented the team’s play and said the win was a great confidence booster.

“Give those guys a ton of credit for playing with the tenacity, the toughness and the togetherness with which they played,” Donlon said. “Hopefully a win like this will get people’s attention.”

Kansas City improves to a 1-2 record on the season and will face Kansas Christian College at the Roo’s home opener on Nov. 17.