Roos women’s soccer falls to Iowa

Roos fall to the Iowa Hawkeyes, losing 2-0 (Julia Kapros)

Kansas City’s women’s soccer lost 2-0 to the Iowa Hawkeyes at Durwood Soccer Stadium on Thursday.

The Roos took on the challenge of hosting the reigning Big 10 champions, and for most of the contest they sported a bend-but-don’t-break defense.

Sophomore goalkeeper Mackenzie Caldwell started her third game of the season and recorded a career-high 12 saves. Iowa’s relentless offense took 30 shots, 13 of which were on target.

After a Kansas City foul at the 15-minute mark, Hawkeye Sara Wheaton kicked the ball toward the goal where Roos defender Emma Wilson leaped to head the ball away. Despite making a good defensive play, Wilson inadvertently caused an awkward bounce that resulted in an own goal.

Kansas City’s defense brushed off the mishap and fought off the Iowa attack for the next 65 minutes of the match.

The Roos best chance to score in the first half came in the 28th minute. Midfielder Anna Jennings caught up to a ball behind the Hawkeyes’ defense and set up forward Meghan White for a potential game-tying goal mere feet in front of Iowa’s net. 

However, White’s header attempt was just off target and sailed over the goal.

The Roos went on to pressure the Iowa defense early in the second half, controlling the beginning moments after the break. The Hawkeyes retaliated with an attack of their own, and Caldwell’s night got busy in a hurry. 

In the 52nd minute, Iowa midfielder Hailey Rydberg sent a laser shot to the top of the goal, only for Caldwell to vault in the air and punch the ball out of bounds. Of Caldwells 12 saves, 11 came in the second half. 

Kansas City’s defense held out for as long as it could, but in the 80th minute Iowa defender Sara Wheaton sailed a pass over the Roos backline where forward Riley Burns caught up to the ball, sending it past Caldwell on the right side of the net. 

The Roos played aggressively in the final minutes of the match but could not put the ball in the back of the net.

Kansas City women’s soccer dropped to 2-6-0 after the match and another tough loss against Creighton on Sunday.