A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Men’s soccer: Kansas City stays afloat, defeats SIUE 1-0 in a thriller

The Roos defeated the Cougars with a score of 1-0 after 90 minutes of play. (Julia Kapros)

In a game of defensive prowess, Kansas City men’s soccer managed to squeeze in a goal in the 80th minute to defeat the Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville Cougars.

During the wild matchup Kansas City had multiple chances to score, starting with a penalty kick by sophomore forward Jody Muñiz. The Cougars, however, managed to block the shot and kept the score 0-0.

After multiple corner kicks and a multitude of substitutions, neither team was able to make anything happen. However, things started to escalate in the second half. 

Both teams made some necessary changes to their squad and game plan. However, it was the Roos’ alterations that led to their ultimate victory. After only attempting two shots in the first half, the Roos came back on the field aggressively, shooting eight times in the second half. 

Shot after shot came at SIUE. None reached the back of the net until Muñiz capitalized on a penalty kick and delivered the crucial goal. It was 1-0 for the Roos after 90 minutes of play. 

While the offense was shut down for most of the game, the defense compiled a perfect game. With only four shots allowed the entire game, the Roos limited the Cougars chance of winning or even tying the game.

Even though the Roos sit 1-3-1, there is still a chance the team can reach the .500 mark soon. Kansas City just has to continue following its winning formula. 

Kansas City will face Dayton on Sept. 18 at 6 p.m.