A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Women’s basketball: Roos even up two-game series against Denver with a win

After falling to Denver 63-55 on Friday, the Roos came out on top on Saturday with a 85-69 victory. (Kansas City WBB Instagram)

After falling to Denver 63-55 on Friday, the Roos came out on top on Saturday with a 85-69 victory. 

Denver started the game off with four straight turnovers and allowed the Roos to open up with a small lead, with Kansas City’s first two buckets coming from RaVon Nero. 

Both teams shot around 40% in the first quarter, and the Roos held the lead for the entirety of the quarter, ending with a score of 17-13.

Denver came out hot in the second quarter, scoring five straight points to give themselves their first lead of the game. After those first five points, Denver became cold and went on a scoreless drought for five minutes, shooting only 23% for the quarter. In comparison, Kansas City shot 44% behind strong pushes from Nero and Paige Bradford.

UMKC went into halftime leading 37-22.

The third quarter was all Kansas City as they scored 32 points. They shot 75% from the field, going 12-16 overall, and 4-8 from three-point land. Denver also had a good third quarter, scoring 21 points and shooting 45%, but the bombardment from the Roos overshadowed Denver’s efforts.

Denver outscored the Roos 26-16 in the fourth, but it was too little, too late. 

Overall, Kansas City shot 49% from the field overall and 36% from three, both above their season averages. 

Nero led the way for total points with 27, followed by Bradford’s 22. Naomi Alnatas also scored 15 points for the Roos.

Kansas City advances themselves above .500 for the season with a record of 10-9 overall and 7-6 in Summit League play.

The Roos will try to close the season strong with a two-game series against South Dakota State on Feb. 26-27.