The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

Political Column: The value of foreign policy

If you watched the news, election coverage or debates, you would find it easy to forget that most of the president’s power relates to foreign policy, or that Congress should be more active when it comes to non-domestic issues.

Nowadays, it’s common to have presidential nominees and candidates with a clearer legislative agenda than a foreign policyvision. That seems strange considering how they have no control over legislation, let alone the ability to pass bills, outside of limited executive orders.

Of course, the reason there is so much focus on domestic policy is partially reasonable. People want to know about things that will directly affect them. Often, foreign policy isn’t focused on by the media. Thus, for current presidents or nominees, focusing on foreign policy is simply not worth the time.

Even when foreign policy gets talked about, it is often in simple, incorrect or unhelpful ways. That can be seen clearly in the coverage of the recent “Middle East Peace Deal” (aka just a normalization agreement, not an actual peace deal) signed by the Trump administration, or in the previous Trump administration’s meetings with North Korea. 

The way issues get treated or talked about in the media is locked in a hawkish tone. Things like the Iran Deal can get butchered, but shooting missiles onto an empty airport in Syria is treated as a groundbreaking mythic event.

Instead of being treated like a critical realm of policy making, foreign affairs are often ignored or treated like the red-carpet premiere of a new movie. Successfully navigating foreign policy is essential, but it is so often given short shrift that doing so can get harder and harder. 

Other policy areas like healthcare and taxation remain important, but these issues often swallow up all the oxygen. That can be seen in this presidential election and within the political system as a whole.

What is Trump’s foreign policy vision? What is Joe Biden’s? On the congressional side, what is Josh Hawley’s? What is Emanuel Cleaver’s?

The fact that I can know the difference between a Republican’s and a Democrat’s opinion on tax cuts but not on drone strike, is a problem.

It is unreasonable to expect people, no matter how powerful, to have an opinion or knowledge on everything. However, if your job is being a policymaker, it is not unreasonable to expect you to know about policy.

Plus, the more people don’t think about these issues, the more they just get passed on to the same people from the ghost of administrations past. 

Seeking to find any foreign policy theory or framework for either party or presidential candidate would be an impossible task, which is a real tragedy.

Currently, foreign policy is not being given the importance it’s due. That needs to change, because the way we think about the world and our role in it has to evolve.