The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

Victim assaulted on Hospital Hill campus

Evans, Ethan (UMKC-Student)

A victim was assaulted Tuesday, Feb. 18 on the UMKC Hospital Hill Campus, according to a crime notification sent out by the UMKC Police.

The victim was walking on the south side of the UMKC School of Medicine around 6 p.m. when they were punched in the side of the head by a suspect who passed by. According to the UMKC Police notification, the attack occurred for “no apparent reason.”

The victim refused medical care.

The suspect is described as an African-American male, approximately 28 to 32 years old, around six feet tall, with a slender build and some facial hair. He was reportedly wearing a black beanie, a dark zip-up jacket and dark jeans when he assaulted the victim.

UMKC Police declined to comment on the crime themselves but directed U-News to the university’s public relations office.

“[The crime] is still under investigation, so we don’t have any new information to release at this time,” said Stacy Downs, assistant director of Strategic Communications. “What I can say is that UMKC Police have increased patrol activity on the Health Sciences campus.”

The UMKC Police also offered general safety tips for students in their crime notification, which was released just hours after Tuesday’s assault was reported. The tips included reminders for students to be attentive to their surroundings, to lock their doors when sleeping or leaving their homes, and to travel in small groups.

As a part of efforts to ensure safety, UMKCPD will also escort students to their cars upon request, said Downs.

The UMKC Police encourage anyone who may have information regarding the crime to call the department at 816-235-1515.