The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

Roos Record-Breaking Track and Field Season

Kansas City Track and Field Shines During the Indoor Season
Iqbal Singh
The Track and Field teams compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 8 and 9.

Kansas City Track and Field has improved by leaps and bounds this season. Athletes are breaking many meet records, with some records being over 20 years old.

“Overall we have had some great performances, I can’t complain about that,” said Head Coach Benaud Shirley.

The team opened the season on Dec. 1 at the University of Kansas Bob Timmons Challenge. 

Roos celebrated graduate student Jaleesa McWashington when she got first place in women’s long jump at the first meet of the season with a distance of 5.62 meters.

Junior Nahshon Houston followed McWashington with a jump of 7.23m. Houston secured first place in the men’s long jump for the Roos.

Just a week later, the Roos broke three school records at the Iowa State Holiday Invitational.

Freshman Kenechukwu Okpareke debuted her college track career by breaking a 21 year long program record with a 6.71 second 60 meter run. 

Okpareke was not the only athlete to stand out. Micaela Martin and Logan Pratt both broke records in the 300 meter event. 

Next, the Roos attended the Arkansas Invitational where senior Abdelrahim Mahgoub ran the 600 meter race with a time of 1:19.23. This time broke the program record of 1:20.53 previously held by Jackson Barbour since 2016. 

Pratt stays consistent by beating another school record – this one being held for 24 years – in the men’s 200 meter race. He was a notable 21.70 seconds surpassing the previous record of 21.76 seconds. He would go on to beat that record only a month later with a time of 21.63 seconds.

“Some of the outdoor records are tough,” Shirley said. “But you’ll see records continue to be broken in the men’s middle distance and sprints”

Carrying this momentum to the Iowa City Black and Gold Invitational, the Roos continued to impress. 

Abdelrahim Mahgoub placed second and beat the personal and school record with a time of 1:51.70 in the men’s 800 meter run. 

Alanie Rivera took first place in the women’s 800 meter run. She holds the fastest times for the Roos this season in the 800 meter and 600 meter run. 

“Our goal is to be better everyday,” Shirley said. 

The Roos ended the indoor season at the Summit League Championships with eight athletes placing in the top five.  Abdelrahim Mahgoub stood out taking first in the 800m with a time of 1:53.42.