The limited series has six episodes on Netflix.
UMKC’s Women’s Center hosts Feminist Film Friday
Renée Ashley, Staff Writer • September 30, 2023

UMKC Women’s Center hosted a Feminist Film Friday, featuring the first episode of the new Netflix series “Ladies First: A Story of Women...

GUTS soundtrack features 12 songs, rounding out at 39 minutes.
Olivia Rodrigo “GUTS”: A Second Album Triumph that Cements Her Status
Jackson Ogden, RooTV Co-Executive Producer • September 26, 2023

Forget a sophomore slump; Olivia Rodrigo just put out a sophomore statement.   Rodrigo released her new album earlier this month, titled...

The Kansas City Repertory Theater is located on UMKCs campus and has a variety of shows throughout the year.
UMKC Student Flourishes in “Cyrano de Bergerac”
Aurora Wilson, Lifestyle and Culture Editor • September 25, 2023

Dri Hernaez, a third-year MFA acting candidate at UMKC, didn’t expect to find a career in acting, but KC Rep Spencer Theater helped her grasp...

The Art Garden KC
The Art Garden KC
Aydan Stigler, Photographer • September 20, 2023

A mural of Patrick Mahomes on the side of Ale House.
The Best Places to Catch the Chiefs This Season
Alexandrea Erisman and Adedeji AdebaworeSeptember 15, 2023

Let’s face it, the spot to be on game day is undoubtedly GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium, but we can’t all score a ticket inside.   We...

Top Ten Places to walk to from campus

As the fall semester begins, new students, from freshmen to transfers, will find their way to UMKC’s campus. 

If you find yourself looking for something new, fun or you’re in a pinch for something last minute, check out this list of places that are all within a 20-minute walk of the university!

1. Pizza 51- 4 minutes
  2. Crows Coffee- 4 minutes
  3. The Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden- 10 minutes
  4. Chipotle- 16 minutes
  5. Tiki Taco- 16 minutes
  6. Kansas City Public Library, Plaza branch. – 16 minutes
  7. Dollar Tree- 18 minutes
  8. Gates BBQ- 19 minutes
  9. Fast Food- Taco Bell, McDonald’s, KFC- 19 minutes
  10. The Nelson Atkins Museum- 20 minutes

Many of these places are food joints, which is perfect for hungry students and most could be an affordable trip to accommodate a college student’s budget. 

Kansas City is known for its unique and delicious barbecue. Some of the most popular BBQ spots include Gates Barbecue, Q39, and Arthur Bryants. 

Locations like The Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden and The Nelson Atkins are great options when looking for an engaging weekend activity.

Museums are excellent places for students who want to take a break from school and relax and enjoy amazing pieces of art.

The Country Club Plaza is a place that would have made the list if the location was closer but must still be included. A 39 min walk, or an eight min drive is a place worth visiting. It is a regional shopping center filled with 15 blocks of shopping, dining, architecture, and traditions.

While it’s not the most exciting pick, students can purchase school supplies or household necessities from Dollar Tree without feeling like they spent their life savings. 

These calculations are based on Apple Maps and the starting location being at UMKC.

In addition to saving money on gas and getting quality time with friends, walking for 30 minutes a day is a great way to improve or maintain health, so traveling to these places will also make for a good workout.

For more suggestions for places to visit in Kansas City visit https://www.visitkc.com.