What’s taking center stage at UMKC

As another semester of UMKC begins, so does another round of theater productions by the UMKC Conservatory.

The first comes as early as Jan. 21 with “The White Rose: We Defied Hitler,” written by David Meyers and directed by Jeff Church. A co-production with the Coterie Theatre, this taut, gripping, true story drama centered on Sophia Scholl. A college student in Nazi Germany, Scholl stands up against the influence of the Third Reich. Full of little-known historical details and message that’s as relevant today as ever, “The White Rose: We Defied Hitler” plays from Jan. 21 to Feb. 9.

If that doesn’t sound dark and stressful enough for you, make sure to check out “Blood Wedding” by Federico Garcia Lorca, opening in March. Directed by Kansas City Theatre scene vet Vanessa Severo, “Blood Wedding” is a gripping tale of family and betrayal.

Set in a fantastical version of Spain, two families have a long-standing feud that results in heartbreak and murder. When the daughter of one of the families is stolen on her wedding night, a desperate and mad hunt is launched. As the search goes on into the night, the families discover a different kind of darkness in themselves.

A classic of Spanish theatre, “Blood Wedding” runs from Mar. 6 through the 15th.

The Conservatory closes out the semester with another challenging, timely work. “Divided,” co-created by Stephanie Robert and the Second Year MFA Acting Ensemble, is an experimental production that tackles one of the biggest issues facing the USA.

How do we come back together as a nation now that things have become so divided politically and ideologically? What brought this country to this point, and what, if anything, can bring it back?

Through a mix of music, comedy, interviews and theater, this production aims to answer these questions. “Divided” runs from April 24th to May 3rd.

And of course, there is the Playwright Showcase in the spring. UMKC undergraduates, graduates and alumni will write short plays to be performed by undergraduate actors. It’s a great way to get a glimpse at the vast talent hiding in the woodworks of Kansas City.

The showcase will run from Apr. 16 to the 20th.

Make sure to mark your calendars and check out these productions, showing support for UMKC while also exposing yourself to some quality art. 

Additional information about all shows can be found on the UMKC Conservatory website.