Kansas City reels in Summit League Awards in Historic Fashion

The Roos earn multiple awards, including Coach of the Year
Both+mens+and+womens+basketball+players+received+recognition+in+the+Summit+League+for+their+performances.+
Mikayla Farage
Both men’s and women’s basketball players received recognition in the Summit League for their performances.

The Kansas City Roos earned nine Summit League Awards, including the first Coach of the Year win in 19 years. 

Men’s basketball head coach Marvin Menzies’ impressive second season in Kansas City earned him the historic win as Coach of the Year. It’s the first time a Roos’ coach received this title since Rich Zvosec in 2005.

Meanwhile, junior forward Jamar Brown won Newcomer of the Year and First-Team All-League. He was the best player for the Roos, averaging 15.3 points, 6.1 rebounds and one steal a game. Brown is the third player to be named the best newcomer for Kansas City. 

Freshman guard Jayson Petty got the Freshman of the Year nod. In his first year as a Roo, he averaged six points and 2.9 rebounds. He also amassed 16 steals and 14 blocks. He’s the second player in Kansas City history to win Freshman of the Year. 

Graduate guard Khristion Courseault’s terrific work on the bench earned him Sixth Man of the Year. The Los Angeles native worked as a scorer and facilitator, averaging 10.2 points and 4.2 assists a game. He is the first Roo in program history to win this award.

Senior guard Babacar Diallo was one of the five players in the Summit League to be named in the All-Defensive Team. Even as a great facilitator, his defense stands out above the rest. He had 24 steals this season, and is tasked to line up against great shooters week by week.

Guard Emani Bennett’s impressive first year allowed her to be named in the All-Summit Freshman team. She emerged as a great starter for Kansas City, averaging 8.1 points and 3.6 rebounds. She’s the first to win this award since Leilah Vigil in 2019. 

Two more Roos made the All-Newcomer team. Sophomore guard Alanya Contreras showed her impressive work as a shooter, leading the Roos with 10.4 points per game. She also contributed in other ways, averaging 2.5 assists and 1.6 rebounds. 

Graduate forward Dominique Phillips made the most out of her last season. She produced on both sides of the ball, with 9.3 points per game and 4.7 rebounds per game.