Opinion: Let the Royals Play Ball Downtown

Why I’ll be voting to let the stadium move to the Crossroads.
The Royals announced the new stadium will be located in the Crossroads district.
Ben Springer

There’s been no shortage of chatter on the Royals’ proposal to move the Kauffman Stadium to the Crossroads District. However, one glance through the comment section of any Facebook post about the move shows many people do not want this big change to happen. 

In less than a month, Kansas Citians can formally voice their opinions when the issue goes to the polls on April 2 in the form of a tax vote. Here is stand to ask voters to pass the legislation.

To be clear, I am not a Royals fan or even a Kansas City native. I was born and raised in Miami, Florida. However, I still want to see the city I now call home grow and become a lively city. 

One of the arguments against the stadium’s relocation is that downtown traffic will get worse. 

Kansas City is becoming a major city already, with three Super Bowl wins in five years as well as the World Cup coming in 2026. The city grew by 11% in population between 2000 and 2010.

While traffic may be annoying, no major city goes without it.

Another common complaint against the idea is that the stadium is fine where it is now, at the Truman Sports Complex, right next to Arrowhead Stadium. 

I’ve always found it strange that the two iconic stadiums are in the middle of a highway intersection with few other businesses around. It’s hard to enjoy the idea of visiting Taco Bell after a big Royals game instead of something more fun, like an upbeat restaurant or club. It makes more sense for at least one of the stadiums to be downtown and where there is more nightlife. 

Perhaps the most commonly used argument against moving the stadium is that several small businesses in the Crossroads area will be forced to relocate if the proposal proceeds. The Royals say the stadium wouldn’t open until April 2028, which is in four years. Ground will most likely not be broken until at least next year, assuming the vote this April goes in the Royals’ favor. 

I concede that relocating a business is not ideal, but the small business owners will have a reasonable amount of time to find new locations to move to. 

The tone of the discussion surrounding the new stadium rings notably similar to that of the discussion on whether Kansas City International Airport needed to be updated. There was resounding pushback from many KC locals, especially the natives. The existing terminal was fine. Why change it? 

The new airport opened up about a year ago, and the negative dialogue has ceased to exist. I say that if the Royals’ stadium lands in the Crossroads in time for the 2028 season, the same will happen. 

Yes, there will be more traffic downtown, but only when there are games or other events happening at the stadium. Some small businesses will be forced to relocate and this is not preferred, but the economic growth that will come to the area makes the moves more approachable.

If Kansas City wants to play with the big leagues and continue to become a booming city, it will have to act like one.