The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

UMKC’s Women’s Center Hosts Barbie Movie Night as part of the Student Union Takeover Series

The event had an excellent turnout with tons of students dressed head-to-heels in pink.
Jazlyn Summers
Feminism and Barbie took center stage at the Women’s Center event.

The Women’s Center hosted a showing of the movie “Barbie” Friday night, Jan. 26, in the Student Union Theater for an evening filled with photo-ops, free popcorn, mocktails, pins and prizes.

The event featured a pink photo booth with fun props and balloons. (Jazlyn Summers)

Students crowded the theater and munched on the flavored popcorn while the movie played. 

“I wanted to show it [the Barbie movie] because I saw it as soon as it came out. I was curious about it at first because their marketing was very vague and I didn’t know what to expect,” said Chelsea Duckworth, the senior program coordinator for The Women’s Center. “It was really well done. Every line is intentional. It’s a great discussion for feminism.”

Although the movie has been out since last summer, it was the first time watching for some students. 

“I thought it was super goofy, but at the end, it lost my interest because it drags on, but overall the movie was incredible,” said Alex Stoll, a freshman biology major. “I’ve never seen it before, but it was a 10/10.”

The Barbie movie touched the hearts of many women, as it is a movie centered around femininity and girlhood. 

“Barbie has been a topic in feminism as long as she has existed,” Duckworth said. 

Lana Luxx, a drag queen and Kansas City native, was walking around the lobby taking pictures with all of the attendees. 

“Being a woman means a lot to me actually, especially being a transwoman. It’s all about being resilient. A boss,” Luxx said. “Taking up space even though there may not always be space for you. Busting down doors. Being a woman is so many things.” 

Another student shared her insight on womanhood as well. 

“Being a woman means being capable of anything, being strong, being empowering and anything you can put your mind to,” said Laila Stevenson, freshman communications major and Women’s Center employee. 

The Women’s Center puts on many events similar to this movie showing all year. There is a Valentine’s Day crafting event on Feb. 7 located in the Women’s Center. Find more information on roogroups or their Instagram