Kansas City Women’s Basketball: A Strong Start Fades Against SDSU Jackrabbits

Roos looking to end two game losing streak in Denver on Thursday

Kansas City women’s basketball started strong in the first half against the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits on Thursday. However, the team lost that energy in the second half with the game ending at 49-72.

The first quarter looked promising as junior forward Kelby Bannerman won the tip-off, giving way for the Roos to come out strong against the Summit League-leading Jackrabbits. 

The teams both traded places when it came to the leading score in the first quarter. Junior guard Lisa Thomas ended the quarter with a nearly half-court buzzer beater, igniting energy and excitement in the stands. 

Still riding the high from the previous quarter, Kansas City opened the second with graduate guard Dominique Philips putting up a shot. The Roos slowly started trailing behind on the scoreboard, but Philips still kept the fire going by putting up a 3-pointer. 

After halftime, the Jackrabbits extended their lead even further. The Roos attempted to hold a full-court man-to-man defense to hold them back, but the Jackrabbits scored 32 points in the quarter. 

The Roos stayed dedicated and diligent until the end, but could not shorten the 20-point lead by the Jackrabbits. 

The Roos stand at 10-12, 1-6 in conference and are in 7th place in the Summit League. 

Next, the Roos travel to Denver to take on the the University of Denver Pioneers at 7 p.m. The game can be streamed on the Summit League Network via Midco Sports.