Creative and affordable ways for college students to celebrate Valentine’s day.
Julia Kapros
Valentine’s Day can be stressful for students trying to save money, luckily there are options to stay frugal and be fun.

As a college student, spoiling your partner without jeopardizing next week’s groceries on Valentine’s Day can be hard.

Here are some options that keep the day of love on a budget but will still impress your date. 

“I feel like bowling is a pretty cheap and fun date,” said Lily Bremer, a UMKC communications major.

Ward Parkway Lanes offers games of bowling at different price ranges that are affected by the day of the week and time.

While there, grab a bite to eat at the bar or explore their arcade. For an extra fee, starting at $27, the lanes can be shifted into an augmented reality with bright and changing graphics.  

Low budget or expensive, bowling is sure to get the night rolling.

If your partner has a sweet tooth, share the love with some ice cream. 

Betty Rae’s is a popular ice cream shop with funky decor and affordable prices. If your date has any allergies to dairy, gluten, or nuts this place is perfect because they have flavors to accommodate. 

There are two locations in KCMO, both just under 15 minutes away from UMKC campus.

Staying in can be just as romantic as going out. Your partner may appreciate a personalized painting date. 

For under $20, a night-in can be transformed into an enchanted evening with just an eight pack of blank canvases and paint purchased at Target. 

Along with painting, a candlelit dinner with a home-cooked meal could make your partner’s heart melt.

With Hyvee’s  “10 Affordable Date-Night Dinners That Taste Really Expensive,” your partner can experience fine dining with the comfortability and relaxation of home. 

These recipe options include shrimp mac and cheese, red pepper shrimp, and roast chicken and veggies. 

No relationship? No problem. Spend time with friends on Valentine’s Day making friendship bracelets with UMKC’s Union Programming Board. 

Only a short walk from the dorms, this free event is planned to take place from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.

To attend this event, RSVP on RooGroups