UMKC Community Honors Late Professor Sheila Honig

The Interdisciplinary Symposium will recognize the beloved faculty member for immeasurable influence on the English department

During her career as an English teahcer, Sheila Honig won Sosland Teaching Awards and the Dean’s Teaching Award.

Aurora Wilson, Staff Writer

Professor Sheila Honig, the longest-standing English professor at UMKC, taught for over 40 years and left her mark on thousands of students. 

The Missouri native passed away on Feb. 9, 2023, due to a stroke earlier in the week, according to the obituary.

She was a beloved professor on campus who emphasized critical engagement, thinking and connection with students. 

Grace Giron, the president of the Sigma Tau English Honor Society at UMKC, was Honig’s student and said Honig always prioritized her pupils.

“I always loved getting feedback on my work from her and she was open to discussing various points of view on the subjects we discussed,” Giron said. “The way she taught really helped students pinpoint the main arguments in their papers.” 

Colleagues deeply appreciated Honig, and she left a lasting impact on them. Jenni Frangos, another English professor, worked closely with Honig and said the loss was devastating. 

“It’s like the cornerstone of the department is gone,” Frangos said. “We’ll prop things up and find a way to carry on, but it won’t be the same.” 

Frangos shared that she and Honig were close friends at UMKC, often chatting about their classes and students. In December, they met for lunch, and Frangos said they shared their hopes about the upcoming year.  

“We talked about what we were looking forward to in the spring- for her, it was her first grandchild who was due in February,” Frangos said. “It just breaks my heart that she never got to hold that baby.  

Honig is survived by her husband, Ron Honig, her daughter, Dr. Rachel Honig Krakosky and her grandson, Alexander Krakosky. 

Anyone wishing to honor Honig can attend the Interdisciplinary Symposium on April 14 or 15. A few moments of respect will be paid before lunch on both days.