Lucerna Presents its Seventeenth Volume of UMKC Student Research

Lucerna is an undergraduate research publication run by students to publish students

Lucerna is excited to debut its seventeenth volume at its first in-person symposium since COVID-19.

Ellen Beshuk, Co-News Editor

Every year, undergraduate research from any field of study contributes to the next volume of Lucerna. This research ranges from interpretations of literature to statistical analysis.   

Founded in 2006, this student-run organization has publicized over 100 undergraduate research projects. 

Lucerna is one of the few ways these students publish research, but that does not mean it is easy. Each project goes through several rounds of editing and is screened for relevance, accuracy and organization. 

Anuhya Dayal, third-year medical student and editor-in-chief of Lucerna plays a part in each paper before publication.  

“I think [Lucerna] teaches you a lot, and it commends you for what you’ve done,” Dayal said. “Students don’t need to be in a lab doing pipette work or working with mice to do research. Research comes in many different forms, and you can choose whatever form you like.”  

Those who make it to the end of the editing process gather to present their research at a symposium. Sophomore Symone Franks is one student showing her work on the history of the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art and Black artists’ representation.  

“It’s really rewarding to see something I did get recognized, but I’m a little nervous because it has been a while since I’ve done the research,” Franks said. “I hope the same amount of passion and excitement I have for the topic comes out now.” 

Another publication in Lucerna comes from English major and senior Lauren Textor and her research on “The Daughters of the Late Colonel” by Katherine Mansfield. Textor said she appreciates that all types of research are accepted and that she has a place to present her passion project. 

“[Lucerna] is a relatively unintimidating stepping stone for students. It can be scary to submit your work, but it’s a lot easier at your own university,” Textor said. “It’s important to have something that’s more accessible to [students] where we get feedback and a chance to resubmit.” 

This is the first year Lucerna will host an in-person symposium since COVID-19 moved it online. Textor and Franks are just two of the six students showing their research. Other presenters include those in biology, art history and earth and environmental science.  

Learn more about all the student research being published at the Lucerna Symposium on March 23.  

All undergraduate students can submit their research to Lucerna. Research guidelines, past volumes and where to submit research can be found on the Honors Program website.