Operation Beautiful is Spreading Positivity to UMKC

Notes fill campus to share messages of self-love, acceptance and worth

Aurora Wilson/Roo News

Students participate in Operation Beautiful for Every Body is Beautiful Week.

Aurora Wilson, Staff Writer

Vibrant and characterful post-it notes filled the Miller Nichols Library this week for Operation Beautiful, an event hosted by the UMKC Women’s Center for Every Body is Beautiful Week (EBIB).

Students had the opportunity to write positive messages and spread them throughout the campus. 

Olivia Floro, a senior majoring in criminal justice and criminology, wrote “you are not alone” on a yellow post-it note. This seemingly simple message has a personal and deep significance in Floro’s life. 

“It’s for my brother. He has had some major mental health struggles over the last couple of months,” Floro said, who was brought to tears speaking about her situation.

Operational Beautiful was created by blogger Caitlin Boyle, with the intention of extending kindness to strangers through uplifting notes.

Messages regarding beauty, confidence and worth were frequently covered themes.

The Women’s Center works to spread body positivity and inclusivity by hosting Operation Beautiful in correlation with EBIB week every year since 2015.

The mission of EBIB week is to embrace all body types, encourage self-love and raise awareness about eating disorders. 

“Always have it in mind that you are the prize and be confident,” Naomi Manga wrote. The junior majoring in health sciences said that she finds it vital to emphasize self-worth in her daily life.

“I really believe that we should all know our worth,” Manga said. “It’s the reason I feel confident. It’s about feeling worthy.”

The event sparked instances of openness, where many students shared the personal meanings behind their post-it notes.

Anna Kruger, a first-year student majoring in business administration, quickly wrote, “you are beautiful inside and out.” 

“My mom would always tell me that it is my inner beauty that matters,” said Kruger. 

The Women’s Center is hosting an Equal Pay Day event on March 15 and will be tabling in the Student Union from 11 p.m. to 1 p.m. To find more information, visit the Women’s Center or check out their page on Roo Groups