A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

UMKC Honors Program Blood Drive Sees Increase in Donations After Union Station Shooting

The need for blood has become urgent after Feb. 14, but a lack of blood isn’t a new problem for KC.
Lauren Zoller
Becky Bergman, an employee at UMKC ASM Roo Advising sits to have her blood drawn.

In the wake of the Union Station shooting, UMKC Honors Program and Community Blood Center’s bi-semesterly blood drive saw a jump in registrations Friday, Feb. 16 with 24 new signups.

Sudhiksha Kumar, a junior studying mathematics and statistics, serves as the honors ambassador directing the drive. She was also at the parade on Wednesday.

“Having blood drives in the first place is really important, but especially after such an impactful occurrence that affected so many people on so many different levels,” Kumar said. “It really makes it more pertinent to bring together a sense of community and help others in any way you can.”

Bryan Terry, a senior editor and project manager for UMKC Strategic Marketing and Communications, was one of the registered attendants. He was feet away from where the gunman opened fire and saw some of the victims.

Bryan Terry sits for a double red blood cell donation. (Lauren Zoller)

“I thought [the blood drive] would be an excellent way to take back a little bit of control over the situation and feel more comfortable myself and to feel a little empowered,” Terry said.  

Kumar emphasized that Kansas City hasn’t had a stable blood supply for nearly three years, with many health institutions in the area having a day or less of blood available.

The Community Blood Center of Kansas City aims to give around 600 units of blood and blood products a day to local hospitals, assisting with care to the victims of the Chiefs parade shooting.

“We don’t ever want tragedy to strike,” said Lisa Nelson, an account manager for Community Blood Center. “But when it does, we have to have the inventory in stock, and if people aren’t donating blood and we have low inventory, we might not have the capability to hold enough inventory to support these people.”

According to Nelson, Community Blood Center of Kansas City provides blood to 92% of Kansas City hospitals. This includes Children’s Mercy, where 11 of the victims were treated, ranging in age from 6 to 15.

“We’re providing the opportunity to save their life, and that’s a donor, that’s not Community Blood Center,” Nelson said. “That’s a donor sacrificing their time and their effort for a bag of blood.”

Despite the snowy conditions, a total of 54 people successfully donated blood.

The next UMKC Honors Program blood drive takes place April 17 in Pierson Auditorium 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. To learn more about the donation process or how to donate, visit the Community Blood Center website