Men’s basketball: Roos set to face Jackrabbits in regular season finale

The Roos will look to secure second place in the Summit League with a win. (Julia Kapros/Roo News)

The 2021-2022 regular season comes to an end this Saturday, Feb. 26, as Kansas City takes on the South Dakota State Jackrabbits in a game with conference implications on the line.

The Jackrabbits have already clinched the Summit League with an incredible 26-4 record and a 17-0 conference record. With a win against the Roos, they will finish a perfect 18-0 in Summit League play for the second consecutive season.

Meanwhile, the Roos are currently in a three-way tie for second place in the Summit League. They share the second position with North Dakota State and Oral Roberts, both of whom are favored to win their final games on Saturday.

In the last matchup between the two teams, the Jackrabbits dominated with an 89-57 win. Dominant performances by South Dakota State have been a common theme in the recent years. In the last 13 meetings with the Roos, the Jackrabbits won 12 of them and are undefeated since 2015.

Kansas City senior guard Evan Gilyard II comes into the contest averaging 16.9 points per game along with 1.6 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 45.7% shooting. In the previous matchup, Gilyard only posted three points and one assist in the blowout loss.

This will be the last home game for Gilyard, Arkel Lamar and Marvin Nesbitt Jr. The trio of seniors have all been vital parts of the 19-10 record the Roos have posted this season.

The current line favors SDSU by 6.5 as they come to Kansas City for the first time since 2017, looking to finish with a perfect conference record.

Tipoff is at 7 p.m. and is available to watch at the following link:

https://kcroos.com/watch/?Live=179&type=Live