Empowering Student Success: Essential Resources at UMKC Campus

A Comprehensive Guide to Navigating UMKC’s Campus Resources
Leah Taylor
UMKC students benefit from many campus resources, empowering them to excel academically, thrive socially and prioritize their well-being.

UMKC’s campus is packed with resources to support student success during the semester. Here’s a breakdown of key resources available. 

The Atterbury Student Success Center offers more than just lunch. It is home to Academic Support and Mentoring and Career Services. Academic Support and Mentoring aims to help students succeed in the classroom and Career Services is the center of professional life for UMKC students.

Career Services help students edit resumes, practice for job interviews and take professional headshots for free. They will also connect students to Handshake, an online platform for students to make connections with professionals looking for college graduates or interns. 

For even the best writers on campus, the Writing Studio helps students and provides guidance to create a flawless piece of writing. To schedule a consultation, visit the Academic Support and Mentoring website and click the Writing Studio tab. 

UMKC Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction helps students in need of academic support for the notoriously difficult courses on campus. With one-on-one and group settings, students receive strategies to succeed in their courses. To learn more about services provided, which courses are covered and availability, visit the Academic Support and Mentoring website. 

The Student Union hails multiple resources pertaining to students on campus. In this building, students can find resources that will help them survive the day-to-day. 

Some college students struggle to have their basic necessities met. To help combat this, the Kangaroo Pantry, on the first floor of the student union, provides food and goods to students on campus. Hours of operation are Tuesday through Thursday from 12 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. 

The UMKC Bookstore houses all of the materials needed to succeed in class. Students can purchase books, study material, Roo swag, electronics and more. Hours of operation can be found on their website.

Integrating into campus life can be difficult. Finding a support system can be an essential source of motivation to run the marathon of college. 

The Office of Student Involvement serves as the home to the 300+ student organizations UMKC has to offer. Each organization equips students with the skills to engage with communities inside and outside of the university. To search and learn more about student organizations, visit RooGroups with student credentials.  

The Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) office is a place where students can find a supportive inclusive atmosphere. Students can study, play and even sleep.

MSA embraces the spectrum of diversities while aiding in retention rate with programs like AACE Mentoring, Avanzando Mentoring, Emerging Research Scholars and Lift As You Climb. 

The Rainbow Lounge and Library provides resources pertaining to the LGBTQIA+ while offering the space to anyone who wants to learn more about the history of the LGBTQIA+ community.

The Roo Wellness Center is home to all things health concerned. Here students can find counseling services. Roos are offered several free sessions both one-on-one and group sessions each year.

Roo Wellness had a health clinic as well. Students who find themselves coming down with a common illness or minor injury can be seen. 

UMKC’s campus offers many resources aimed at supporting student success, fostering inclusivity, and nurturing well-being, giving students the tools and support needed to thrive during their college journey.