UMKC Residential Halls Beat Winter Chill With Zero Pipe Breaks

With winter in full swing, UMKC maintenance crews work hard to prevent weather-related maintenance issues.
Oak Street Hall has experienced winter flooding twice in the last three years. Photo by Emily Wheeler

Maintenance crews take a sigh of relief as no pipe breaks were reported in UMKC residential halls during recent weeks of sub-zero temperatures. 

Flooding has been an annual occurrence for UMKC residence halls in the past. Last year both Johnson and Oak Street Hall experienced water damage due to pipe breaks. 

“After prior damage during the severe weather in December 2022, the university redesigned piping and heating systems,” said UMKC Director of Strategic Communications Stacy Downs.

Low temperatures lead to an increased risk of frozen pipes. Once pipes freeze, they can break or leak, causing flooding. 

Maintenance crews implemented additional prevention measures during the recent spout of inclement weather. 

“Temperature and water flow in Residential Life buildings were continually monitored,” Downs said. 

Residential halls have experienced seven floods in the past nine years. It has been a year since the most recent flood. 

Students affected by water damage on campus in the past hope the new prevention methods work. 

“It is reassuring to know they are making steps to prevent it from happening again,” said Madison Davis, a senior health sciences major. 

When winter weather brings snowfall, maintenance crews continually clear parking lots, walkways, and roadways on campus. The preparations help create a safer environment for students and faculty.