BAFTA Outcry: Lily Gladstone’s Snub Raises Questions about Award Season

Gladstone’s missing nomination is just one of the many that caused people to doubt the role of awards in film.
Concerns+about+the+validity+of+award+shows+such+as+the+BAFTAs+have+been+rising+in+popularity%2C+especially+online.+
Iqbal Singh
Concerns about the validity of award shows such as the BAFTAs have been rising in popularity, especially online.

Lily Gladstone, considered to have one of the best performances of the year, was snubbed of a  leading actress Bafta nomination last week.

This overlook left many confused and angry about the situation, especially considering the high praise Gladstone received for her performance in Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon.”

Some claim that Gladstone’s role simply wasn’t big enough to garner a leading actress nomination. However, her Oscar nomination for leading actress contradicts this. 

Even if this argument did stand, why wasn’t she given a best supporting actress nomination? There’s simply no excuse for her to be left out entirely. 

The disappointment in Gladstone’s snub is also shared by UMKC students.

She deserved to be acknowledged for the performance she gave and the work she is doing to represent the Blackfeet tribe,” said Rey Dean, a recent UMKC graduate. “Seeing someone on screen that represents my heritage unapologetically is so important to me… It overall feels off that she was nominated for amazing awards at other ceremonies but left out of the BAFTAS.” 

Gladstone portrayed Mollie Burkhart in “Killers of the Flower Moon,” a film depicting the contract killings of many wealthy Osage Native Americans during the 1920s and Mollie fighting for justice. Gladstone’s snub was met with heavy criticism, with many taking to social media to voice their opinions. 

“I feel like a lot of people are starting to become disillusioned by awards as the BAFTAs,” said Park Zebley, a current UMKC film and media arts major. “[They are] more out of touch with the direction that cinema is moving.”

Many were quick to call out a few other Bafta snubs as well such as; Charles Melton and Andrew Scott for best supporting actor. Greta Lee was snubbed of a leading actress nomination and America Ferrera was snubbed of a best supporting actress nomination. 

“For a film with nine nominations, I am surprised that a woman of Lily Gladstone’s prowess wasn’t its 10th,” said Zack Rodgers, a UMKC graduate. “[Gladstone’s] quiet yet powerful performance in the film ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ was certainly deserving of a nomination.”