SGA Passes Legislation in the Midst of Safety Concerns

Focused on the health of UMKC, Comptroller Justice Horn reveals concerns regarding lack of active shooter response plan
The meeting concluded in 25 minutes and both proposed bills passed on their first reading to the SGA Senate.
Ellen Beshuk

Comptroller Justice Horn brought forth a major concern about the lack of an active shooter response procedure for UMKC students during the Student Government Association (SGA) meeting on Sept. 25.  

“The [UMKC Student Involvement Executive] Board’s biggest concern is that there is not a procedure on what would happen,” Horn said. “This needs to be staff, faculty and SGA lead where we’re on the same page.”

Senators are considering a resolution that would be signed by the Staff Council and SGA and implemented by administration. 

Speaker Brent Boyer brought forth SP 9002, or “the Blue and Gold and Green Proclamation package.” This proclamation would demand UMKC be conscious of their environmental impact, as well as place and promote recycling stations around campus.

The proclamation’s request for more environmentally friendly building certifications was questioned by Senator Shewitt Abai, believing it should be more of an action than just a proclamation. 

Horn raised the point that two-thirds of all carbon emissions in Kansas City came from buildings and UMKC’s need to update its buildings to be more eco-friendly. The proclamation was passed into consideration by a 27 yes-2 no-3 absence majority, concluding the meeting.

The Tip Box legislation SR 9002 passed with 25 yays and 2 nays. Even with words of negation from Senator Alex Unseth. He said he found the “top-down approach” of the SGA form did not make sense and that the QR code submission was problematic.

President Ophelia Griffen brought to attention three open positions for the Supreme Court and an open position for the chief of staff, asking all senators in attendance to bring forward anyone that may be interested.

National Hazing Week was discussed next by UMKC Fraternity and Sorority Affairs graduate assistant Nicole Alexander, alongside what different forms of hazing can look like and promoted events on hazing awareness. 

UMKC’s anonymous hazing report form was shared by Alexander, and she encouraged students to wear purple and take the pledge against hazing.

The money report was next on the list of items brought forth by Horn. There has been a 14% increase in budget from state funding over the past two years, which according to Horn is “usually unheard of from UMKC.” He said he believed this was due to a combination of the success of the University of Missouri-Columbia as well as the work of Vice Chancellor Mun Choi.