The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

UM Board of Curators Discuss What Is to Come at UMKC

Campus accomplishments, sports updates and national branding
Ellen Beshuk
UMKC hosted the entire UM System Board for two days, ending in a public and private meeting.

The University of Missouri Board of Curators met at UMKC’s Students Union on Friday, Sept. 7 to discuss their growth and needed improvements. 

Success at UMKC 

Starting on a high note, board member Michael Williams introduced distinguished UMKC professors Tina Nieme and Massimiliano Vitiello for their outstanding devotion to students and research. 

UMKC’s enrollment of first-time and transfer students increased to 2249 new students this year, the largest intake the campus has seen. Across the UM system, almost 300 new faculty members were hired, 52 of which are at UMKC. 

Faculty and students from UMKC were highlighted including Dr. Sarah Dallas for her osteology research and student Daniel Archibong for winning second at the National Dental Association Research Competition. 

Many faculty are also involved in research, and grants over $1 million were announced. From UMKC’s campus, Theodore White, Michael Pragman and Ceki Halmen have research projects about fungal infections, early education and environmental pollution.   

Athletics

When discussing the growth of sports at UMKC, Director of Athletics, Bradon Martins said they explored a new facility currently in its RFP stage. Chancellor Agrawal confirmed this later, saying UMKC was considering multiple options for plot development on 51st Street.   

Martins also brought up the need for a strategic plan and the recent improvements to the Swinney Center locker rooms

“I have no doubt that as you take on this new endeavor you will do a fantastic job of collaborating to make sure we take full advantage of the streetcar, the trustees, and everything else Kansas City has to offer,” Williams said. 

Other updates

UMKC lab safety audit was extended because a staff member was on leave. So far the lab audit has produced an online resource that gives basic info like lab location, developed lab closing procedure and added a requirement for general lab safety training.  

Due to the Supreme Court ruling in Counterman v. Colorado, a recklessness test was added for stalking threats.  

UMKC is working with Barkely to create a national brand and define what unique values the university provides to Gen Z.  The chancellor also mentioned the recent announcement of UMKC’s partnership with the Chiefs

The top floor of Miller Nichols and the Atterbury Student Success Center are being considered for renovation.

The Board met privately after the public session and click here to watch the full public steam.