Manuel Rivera and Brenna Oxley February 13, 2024

UMKC opens new, on-campus COVID testing center

Curative’s COVID testing services are available to the campus community and the general public. (UMKC)

UMKC has partnered with Curative, a mobile COVID testing center, to offer free nasal PCR tests to UMKC faculty, students and the general public. 

According to UMKC Today, UMKC decided to partner with Curative because local COVID testing shortages made it difficult to track the spread of COVID on campus. Located behind Pizza 51, the testing site will allow visitors to receive accurate results within 1-2 days. 

In a statement, Chancellor Mauli Agrawal said he believes that the center will help the campus remain open through the spring semester.  

“This on-campus testing site is the latest benefit in a continued and ongoing effort to bring in-demand resources to our UMKC community and surrounding neighborhoods,” Agrawal said.

Pasquale Gianni, senior communication manager for Curative, said that the company has a reputation for partnering with educational institutions, and its goal is to make a difference in local communities. 

“We wanted our site to be easily accessible to all individuals,” Gianni said. “We also wanted to make it easier to locate for those who are not familiar with the UMKC campus.”

Gianni said he anticipates seeing all members of the community using this service due to its location. Approximately 240 tests are available to the public each day, either by appointment or walk-in visits.

Eva Schneider, an English major at UMKC, said she will use this testing site over other alternatives because of the convenience. 

“I am already near that area most days,” Schneider said,” and the results come in quickly.” 

Gianni recommended that students use this site before other testing centers because they have a well-equipped team that sends the tests to their high-complexity labs.  

“We offer a solution that has a higher degree of accuracy, is observed by a trained healthcare professional and goes to a lab for analysis,” Gianni said.

Curative was designed to cut unnecessary high costs while still providing convenient testing to local communities using drive-thrus, kiosks or mobile sites with healthcare workers present to administer the tests. 

Along with COVID testing, UMKC also offers opportunities for students to receive free vaccinations on campus. The next clinic will take place on March 15 from 1-5 p.m. at the Student Union by Jazzman’s Café. 

For those getting tested, the company asks that patients bring ID and insurance cards, though they do not require insurance for testing. The service is open Monday-Saturday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. until May 2022.