UMKC offers first COVID vaccination clinic of the semester

UMKC will hold an additional five vaccination clinics between February and May. (Thomas White/Roo News)

UMKC has reported over 160 cases of COVID-19 on campus in the first three weeks of the spring semester, surpassing 60% of the total cases in the fall 2021 semester.

To help combat this surge in cases, UMKC held its first COVID-19 vaccination clinic of the semester on Tuesday, Feb. 1, in the Student Union. The university has also announced it will hold an additional five clinics between February and May.

The on-campus clinic, in partnership with Samuel U. Rodgers Health Center, allowed students and community members to receive their first or second doses of the Moderna, Johnson & Johnson or Pfizer vaccines, in addition to COVID booster shots.

“It’s important to us to keep the campus community safe and offer this opportunity for people to come and get vaccinated,” said Obie Austin, director of UMKC Student Health and Wellness. “We play a part in increasing the vaccination rate so that the KC community can hopefully fight the pandemic.” 

Having on-campus vaccination opportunities has allowed some students to get a vaccine when they may not otherwise have the time to do so.

“I work full time, so it’s nice to be able to come to school and get done what I need to while I am here,” said Andrew Kindiger, a computer science student who received his booster shot at the clinic. “For me, it is kind of a time-saver.”

Upon arrival at the Student Union, participants filled out a short questionnaire and were asked to present their vaccine card if they had one. 

After healthcare workers evaluated their forms, people were called to get their shot and were observed by workers for 15 minutes after the injection to prevent any complications. The whole process was less than 30 minutes.

Previously, UMKC had offered $25 gift cards to students who received the vaccine, but they did not offer that incentive at this clinic.

“I think they didn’t want to give off the wrong idea of trying to bribe people to get it,” said Kaycee Factor, a UMKC track team member who received her COVID booster at Tuesday’s clinic. “I think they wanted it to be everyone’s choice.”

Despite the high number of cases at the beginning of this semester, much of the UMKC community remains hopeful about the campus health status.

“We have always done well throughout the entire pandemic,” Austin said. “It may have something to do with the nature of the students. They choose to mask and are very conscientious about their health care.”

In addition to vaccination clinics, UMKC offers free COVID testing and flu shots.

The next COVID vaccination clinic will be held on Feb. 15 from 1-5 p.m. in the Student Union by Jazzman’s. For more information about COVID on UMKC’s campus, visit https://www.umkc.edu/coronavirus/.