A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

Sports Analysis: Chiefs vs Buccaneers Super Bowl Prediction

The Kansas City Chiefs will be defending their Super Bowl title in the 55th Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. (ESPN)

The defending Super Bowl champs are gearing up and preparing to take on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for what some are calling the matchup of a lifetime.  

Quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady will face off in the postseason for the first time since the 2018 AFC Championship, when the Chiefs suffered a heartbreaking overtime loss to the Patriots.

The two teams first met in week 12 of the regular season and Kansas City came out with a victory of 27-24. Mahomes and Kansas City’s offense came out firing on all cylinders, taking a 17-point lead in the first quarter. Tyreek Hill had seven catches on seven targets for 204 yards and two touchdowns in the first quarter alone.  

Tampa Bay had no answers for Mahomes’ arm and Kansas City’s receivers in the first half. However, they rallied behind Brady and made it a game late in the fourth quarter and brought the gap within three.  

Now, we will all get to watch this matchup again. Brady, a 6-time Super Bowl champion and considered the greatest of all time by many, is facing off against Mahomes, who many consider the next in line for greatness. 

Kansas City will be going into the matchup favored to win, but their season averages line up closely with Tampa Bay. Kansas City averaged 29.6 points per game while giving up an average of 22.6 points per game. Comparatively, Tampa Bay averaged 30.8 points of offense per game, while giving up an average 22.2 points per game.  

With Kansas City’s offense red hot, and their defense playing its best football of the season, I see KC as the favorite. No game against a Brady-led team will come easy, but if the Chiefs can expose Tampa Bay’s secondary once again and keep pressure on Brady coming from the defensive, I see Kansas City coming away with back-to-back Super Bowl victories.  

At 25 years old, Patrick Mahomes is already a Super Bowl champ, Super Bowl MVP, NFL MVP, First-Team All-Pro, 3x Pro Bowler, has thrown for 50 TDs in a single season and has signed the biggest contract in NFL history. His resume is already indicative of an all-time great player and shows that he will continue on the path of heading towards possibly being the greatest ever.  

In order to solidify that however, he needs to beat Brady in next week’s game. If he can beat TB12 in the biggest stage of football, there should be absolutely no question that he is the best quarterback in the NFL and that he will continue to be for years to come.  

Score prediction for next Sunday’s matchup is 30-24, in favor of Kansas City. It should be one for the ages.  

The Super Bowl will be played February 7 at 5:30P.M. on CBS