‘Roos Are All That’

UMKC Prepares for a Week of Celebration with Upcoming Court Warming Events
Julia Kapros
Court Warming is a week of showing spirit for the Roos’ basketball teams and celebrate Roo Court Warming Royalty.

UMKC’s Court Warming is back for another year of celebration, and this time with a tribute to the 90s. 

“Roos Are All That” is the chosen theme for the upcoming dance with respect to the nostalgic Nickelodeon TV show that many students grew up watching and have enjoyed throughout the years.

“The theme is a tribute to Nickelodeon but also UMKC since both are institutions that have shaped the lives and experiences of many people,” said Nabila Hashim, computer science graduate student and Roo traditions and spirit coordinator for UMKC Union Programming Board (UPB). 

Court Warming is a weeklong celebration that highlights UMKC pride and spirit while honoring and supporting the Roo Athletics basketball teams. 

“The event helps foster a sense of community and belonging among students, faculty and alumni,” Hashim said. “As well as showcasing the talents and achievements of the student leaders who compete for the Roo Royalty title.” 

While Court Warming is an annual event, students can expect to see some minor changes such as a $100 incentive to any student-led organization that sponsors a candidate for the dance. 

The week-long celebration provides tons of opportunities for fun and entertainment but also learning. UPB is giving back to the UMKC campus community through their annual “Canned Art Creation.” This service project event and art contest serves to donate food goods to the Kangaroo Pantry, which serves UMKC students and staff who may be facing food insecurity.

“The contest involves creating sculptures out of canned goods, and the candidates and their sponsoring organizations compete for the best-canned art creation,” Hashim said. “The winners receive prizes and points for the Roo Royalty competition.”

As one of the most popular and exciting events of the celebration, the traditional “Yell Like Hell” pep rally will also be taking place.

“This is a cheer competition that will be taking place on Friday night the week of the dance,” Hashim said. “We’ll be featuring performances by the KC Athletics cheerleaders, dance team and mascot– as well as music and games!”

Court Warming will take place from Feb. 3 through Feb. 10 at various locations around campus. All events are free for UMKC students, faculty, staff and alumni. 

“We encourage students to attend and participate because it is a great way of celebrating the students and faculty that make UMKC a vibrant and dynamic place to learn, grow and have fun,” Hashim said. “It also serves as a reminder that UMKC Roos ‘are all that’ and much more.” 

To view details and a schedule of the upcoming events, follow UMKC UPB on RooGroups and Instagram.