It’s Finals Week for Students at UMKC

What are students doing to prepare?
Julia Kapros
Students on campus reveal their secrets to staying focused and maintaining sanity during the hectic exam period.

Between assigned papers, exams and projects, students can agree that finals week can get overwhelming quickly.

From Dec. 9 to Dec. 15, the variety of majors on campus unite in a common struggle, working at all hours, day and night

Students around campus shared some tips for dealing with the chaotic week.

“My friends and I support each other a lot,” said Anna Hoffman, a junior in the nursing program. “We constantly bounce ideas off each other and when we study together we make it a fun and laid-back environment rather than stressful and intense.”   

Hoffman said that keeping perspective helps her avoid feeling swamped by the amount of work. 

“I also like to remind myself that after this I only have three more semesters,” Hoffman said. “The finish line is right over the hill.”

Evelyn Alejandre, a senior majoring in chemistry, said that organization has major benefits for surviving past finals week. 

“I plan ahead and write everything down that needs to be done inside and outside of school,” Alejandre said. “I make sure I get enough sleep at night too.” 

Madelyn Muhr, a sophomore majoring in early childhood education, shared that making time for herself keeps her spirits up.  

“Self-care is super important when you are stressed. To stay calm, I make sure to give myself some time to do things that make me happy,” Muhr said.  “I like to bake, shop, watch TV or hang out with friends and family.”

Multiple events about managing stress, essential study tips and passing tests can be found on Roo Groups and final exam schedules can be found here.