Speaker Resigns After Petition for Impeachment is Brought Against Him

Over the weekend, former Speaker Brett Boyer said he could no longer lead SGA in the right direction
Ellen Beshuk
Brett Boyer (right) said his goal when joining SGA was to advocate for the needs of the student body. Now he said he can no longer lead the senate in this mission.

An email sent Saturday evening detailed Brett Boyer’s resignation from his position as House Speaker. His successor is planning to be confirmed at 6 p.m. tonight during the Student Government Association (SGA) meeting.

According to Boyer, recent actions taken in the Senate have shown him that he has lost the trust of the Senators and could no longer fulfill his role as Speaker.

Boyer said he will continue to serve as a conservatory Senator and ensure the next Speaker has a smooth transition. Provided by SGA)

“My biggest goal for the 90th Senate was for us to move on from the tensions and mistrust from last year’s Student Government Session,” Boyer said in his resignation letter. “I have failed to move us beyond that.”

Some of these recent actions may include an impeachment petition filed against him. Senators Adriana Paez, Shewit Abai, and Andrew Tracey first brought up the petition in the Internal Affairs Committee on Oct. 29 before it was presented to the Public Relations and Senate Resolutions Committee on Oct 30.

Five days later, Boyer announced his resignation to the Executive board.

While the complete reason for this petition is still being investigated, Student Body President Ophelia Griffen said it may have been prompted when Boyer gave someone else’s presentation without their permission to the senate body.

For the next Speaker, Griffen said she hopes to see them reconnect SGA to the student body and leave any remnant toxicity of the 89th senate behind them.

“I know that by stepping down I will not be fixing everything with the Senate, but I do believe it is a step in the right direction,” Boyer said. “I hope that everyone supports the next Speaker and that we are able to continue to advocate and be the voices of the student body at UMKC.”

This story will continue to be updated.

View Comments (1)