A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy BlantonApril 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

51 and Done

51 Street to Become Pedestrian Zone on UMKC Campus
With+an+increased+focus+on+community%2C+the+Chancellor+hopes+this+change+will+create+a+space+for+students+to+gather+together+
Tim Williams
With an increased focus on community, the Chancellor hopes this change will create a space for students to gather together

Edit: While the 51st Street has not closed yet, there will be a city planning meeting on Nov. 7 to discuss alternate driving routes.

UMKC announced plans to turn 51st Street into a pedestrian zone closed to vehicle traffic. The change aims to improve walkability and create a central hub for student gathering and community.

The pedestrian zone is planned to span multiple blocks from Rockhill Road to the Student Union, transforming what is currently a busy street into a car-free area.

The reimagined area will serve as a connector between sections of campus, linking academic buildings, green spaces and other student amenities. With cars removed, students will safely walk, bike, skateboard or gather with friends along the pedestrian-only corridor. The area is envisioned as a vibrant, lively hub of activity for the UMKC community.

“I can just imagine the transformation,” said Chancellor Agrawal in the State of the Union Address. “Plantings and greenery, string lights, places to sit and gather.” 

In particular, the pedestrian zone is intended to replace the popular Miller Nichols walkway, which had served as a central gathering place for students. However, the walkway was closed in 2020 due to structural issues, leaving a void on campus. The 51st Street project aims to reestablish a community focal point in the heart of campus.

So far, reactions from UMKC students have been overwhelmingly positive. Many see this development as an opportunity to improve safety, encourage bonding among their peers and allow new recreation and hangout spaces on campus.

“I personally love it,”  said SGA President Ophelia Griffen. “I think it’s a great way to symbolize what UMKC is about – a family.”

Other students emphasized the safety benefits of removing vehicle traffic from a busy area used heavily by pedestrians. 

“I think it will make it a safer walking environment for students,” said senior Brittani Arnold. Some students were initially unsure of the exact location of 51st Street but said they supported the change after learning more.

“I don’t ever drive through here to begin with. I normally just walk through campus,” said freshman Dylan Nguyen. “I’m for it.”

Fellow freshman Kayden Gurung agreed. 

“I’m for it too,” he said, predicting it may add a few minutes to driving routes but improve the walking area.

While the pedestrian zone may require minor driving adjustments, the overall campus community’s reaction has been positive. The redesign seems to aim to connect campus and prioritize pedestrian students to enhance their experience at UMKC.