A picture of the posters on the University Walkway.
UMKC Students Received University Pushback at Pro-Palestine Protest
Aurora Wilson and Maisy Blanton April 29, 2024

Over 150 students showed up to participate in a protest in solidarity with Palestine and other protests across the nation on Monday.   Around...

How to see a free movie at Screenland Armour this weekend

PlutoTV is giving away free tickets to films in KC this weekend. (Screenland Armour)

The historic and independently-owned Screenland Armour Theater is offering free movie tickets and popcorn for select showings Nov. 13 and 14 through a partnership with Pluto TV. 

Free tickets are available during regular business hours now through the weekend at the Screenland Armour box office on a first come, first served basis. 

“We are stoked to offer free tickets to first showings of some great movies as part of Pluto TV’s back to the cinema weekend,” said Adam Roberts, owner of Screenland Armour. 

The pandemic hurt movie theaters financially, as 2020 saw the lowest box office revenue in 40 years. To bolster family-owned community theaters, the free television streaming service Pluto TV has invited communities to free showings in select mom-and-pop theaters nationwide. 

Screenland Armour is located in the city of North Kansas City, a 15-minute drive from UMKC’s Volker campus. The theater features pinball and arcade games for entertainment to those who arrive early. New, more comfortable seats have been installed in addition to the option of lounging on leather couches in the main theater. 

Those above the age of 21 can also purchase beer and cocktails to enjoy with their cinematic experience. For those who elect to imbibe, Uber or Lyft rides are available for $18 to $25 from campus. 

Saturday free movie showings and times:

“Eternals” – 3:10 p.m.

“Belfast” – 2:30 p.m.

“The French Dispatch” – 2:30 p.m.

“Tick…tick… Boom!” – 3:30 p.m.

Sunday free movie showings and times:

“Eternals” – 4:10 p.m.

“The French Dispatch” – 3:45 p.m.

“Belfast” – 3:30 p.m.

Written and directed by Kenneth Branagh, “Belfast” is about his experience growing up in Northern Ireland during The Troubles. The film has an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.

“Eternals” is a part of Marvel Studio’s next phase as they introduce a new set of superheroes. Audiences have loved it, while critical reaction has been mixed.

The French Dispatch is Wes Anderson’s latest film, and it’s been described as a love letter to journalism. Anderson has a near cult status following a storied career making films like the Royal Tenenbaums, the Life Aquatic, Fantastic Mr. Fox and The Grand Budapest Hotel. 

For fans of musical theater, there is “Tick…Tick…Boom!” The film is an autobiographical musical written by Jonathan Larson, the creator of Rent. “Tick… Tick… Boom!” also features the directorial debut of Lin Manuel Miranda, the mastermind behind Hamilton and In The Heights.  Critics have rated the film at 83% on Rotten Tomatoes.