Women’s soccer: Roos lose control and composure in last minute defeat

Kansas City had a 2-1 loss to Oral Roberts. (UMKC)

Kansas City bowed out of the regular season with a disappointing but encouraging 2-1 loss to Oral Roberts. 

The match opened with a hot start by senior forward Emily Jensen. Within the first ten minutes, Jensen found the back of the net for the first and only Roos’ goal that night and finished the season with two goals. 

In all, the Roos attempted 11 shots during the match. Kassi Ginther would account for four shots, with three of those almost turning into goals. It was a positive outcome for Kansas City, as their muted offense has haunted the team for multiple games. While next season is lightyears away, this final performance should indicate what the team can look like soon. 

Meanwhile, the defense looked unstoppable for the majority of the game. The star of that unit was up-and-coming sophomore goalie Mackenzie Caldwell. She was all over the net, totaling six saves against Oral Roberts. Many of those saves kept Kansas City on the winning side, and the Roos’ defense stuck with the opponent forwards. 

Oral Roberts had a difficult time finding scoring opportunities against Kansas City. The Roos showed some physicality that has been a staple to this defense. If it can continue to play this style next season, Kansas City can be a defensive juggernaut in the Summit League.

While the last ten minutes spelled doom for the team, this team has much promise. With 26 players returning to the field next year, the majority of the squad will still work with each other. The defense has improved significantly. The offense has shown some life but still needs some work. Once again, they need to practice all the small things to get tremendous results. 

This season may be a lost cause for coach Jess Smith, but she still has an opportunity to develop some chemistry with her squad and figure out their identity.