Manuel Rivera and Brenna Oxley February 13, 2024

UMKC hosts recurring COVID vaccine clinic

UMKC offers first COVID vaccination clinic of the semester
UMKC will hold an additional five vaccination clinics between February and May. (Thomas White/Roo News)

UMKC is offering free COVID-19 vaccines and boosters every two weeks through Dec. 7 inside the Student Union. 

Those who opt to get vaccinated on campus will receive a $25 Visa gift card in addition to entry into a lottery of $250 and $500. 

“I feel like I got my first two shots too soon,” said UMKC medical student Laura Richardson. “I could’ve racked up 75 bucks out here.” 

Richardson received her Pfizer booster shot at the Oct. 26 campus vaccination event. Shannon Chan, another medical student, said she was happy to see these events happening.

“It’s great that UMKC is offering more opportunities on campus for students to get vaccinated,” Chan said. “Being a medical student that works in a hospital, we’ve definitely seen an improvement with our COVID cases.” 

The CDC has recently expanded eligibility for COVID booster shots to include anyone over 65 and anyone who is 18 or older that works or lives in a high-risk setting, lives in a long-term care setting or has an underlying medical condition

Director of Student Health and Wellness Obi Austin said that UMKC has now hosted three COVID vaccine clinics this semester, and the number of students receiving vaccinations has increased with each event.

“The new guidelines really help drive numbers,” said Austin. “We offer the first, second or third shot of Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer or Moderna.” 

Booster shots are available after six months from a person’s initial vaccination series. This means that students who got vaccinated back in May or earlier are now eligible to get their COVID booster now.

“People should check to see if they are eligible for the booster,” said medical student Ayra Ali. “I didn’t know I was until I saw an Instagram post from the Office of Student Involvement.” 

A complete list of upcoming vaccination events can be found here, and students interested in a COVID vaccine or booster without availability on these dates can schedule an appointment with University Health, the Kansas City Health Department, CVS, Walgreens or anywhere else vaccines are available.

The next COVID vaccination event is on Nov. 9 at the Jazzman’s Café inside the Student Union. No appointment is necessary, as students can show up any time between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. to receive the vaccine dose of their choosing.