Kansas City Chiefs bounce back with convincing win on the road

The Chiefs bounced back this week to win 31-13 over the WFT. (HogsHaven)

Despite another turnover-filled first half with three giveaways, the Chiefs eventually dominated in their 31-13 win versus the Washington Football Team.

This game was the literal definition of “the tale of two halves.”

The first half resembled the alarming early season trend of bad turnovers in the red zone, halting the driving offense’s momentum and putting their ailing defense in compromising positions.

Luckily, a few surprising defensive stops in the red zone forced Washington to take field goals instead of touchdowns, keeping the score close.

For the second week in a row, Patrick Mahomes led the Chiefs in the turnover department with two interceptions, and wide receiver Mecole Hardman fumbled on a designed sweep to the outside. 

Conversely, the second half reminded Chiefs fans of the recent glory days when they have dominated opponents en route to the last two Super Bowls.

Mahomes bounced back after halftime with two electrifying touchdowns, with an additional score coming behind a strong three-yard rush by running back Darrell Williams. 

For the first time this season, Kansas City executed in all three phases of the game. The performance allowed them to pull away in the second half after trailing 13-10 at the break.

Especially good play came from the Chiefs’ last place defense, who shined from start to finish in this victory against a decent Washington offense. 

They allowed less than 300 yards of total offense and nabbed their first takeaways since the first quarter of week two. 

The Chiefs’ defense held Washington’s offense scoreless while allowing just 76 yards on five total drives in the second half. Three of which were three-and-outs where Kansas City didn’t give up more than seven yards per drive.

Leading the way on defense was rookie linebacker Nick Bolton, who had nine total tackles.

Offensively, the Chiefs dominated a strong Washington defense with 499 yards of total offense and four touchdowns. Mahomes finished with 406 yards from scrimmage, and the rushing attack totaled a surprising 10.3 yards per carry.

Adding to that was both Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, who carved up the Washington Football Team’s secondary for the entire game.

They combined for 17 receptions and 175 yards on 23 targets, with Hill scoring on a two-yard touchdown reception in the red zone that gave the Chiefs the lead early in the third quarter.

In the first start of his career, backup running back Darrel Williams brought a well-needed balance to the offense, keeping the opposition honest in their defensive play calling. 

He added 99 yards from scrimmage with three receptions and two touchdowns.

On special teams, Hardman and Byron Pringle averaged over 25 yards per return, giving the offense great starting field position each time they handled the ball.

The big win brought the Chiefs to 3-3 for the season, with a 2-1 record on the road.

With another tough road game against the bruising Derrick Henry and the Tennessee Titans next Sunday, the Chiefs will need another great team performance to earn their first back-to-back wins of the 2021 season.