Kansas City volleyball beats Oral Roberts in three sets

The Roos log their fifth sweep of the season against Oral Roberts. (Jason Cadena/KC Athletics)

Kansas City volleyball beat Oral Roberts this past Saturday in a 3-0 clean sweep, giving the Roos their fifth sweep this season. Four Roos ended with double-digit digs, and junior Kennedy Schritenthal recorded her 300th career dig.

“Overall, it was a positive step in the right direction, and it was absolutely what we needed,” Coach Christi Posey said.

Set One

Oral Roberts had the first serve of the game, but a kill by sophomore Carly Gillen put the Roos on board first.

At 1-1, both teams’ serves ended in service errors. The first error was by Golden Eagles outside hitter Aixa Vigil, and was followed by an error from Kansas City senior Maddie Renn.

As the set continued, neither team had a promising lead. The score remained close for most of the set, but the Roos stepped up and took the 19-14 lead after several kills.

An attack error by Oral Roberts sophomore Kaia Dunford gave the Roos the point they needed to close out the set 25-20.

Set Two

After winning set one, the Roos were hungry for more. Kansas City had the first four serves and the first 3 points of the set.

However, a service error by Kansas City’s Alli Schomers put Oral Roberts on the board.

The Golden Eagles fought back, briefly taking a 7-6 lead.        

Oral Roberts and Kansas City bounced back and forth until the Golden Eagles managed to secure a strong lead. Multiple strong serves put them over the Roos with a comfortable 17-10 lead.

The Roos scrounged up miraculous play after miraculous play tied the set at 18-18, making it anyone’s game. A kill by Kansas City senior De’Janae Arnold put the Roos within one point of a win.

Kansas City junior Bree Thompson sent over another kill and ended set two.

The Roos took set two, 25-23.

Set Three

The Golden Eagles had the first serve of the set but gave the Roos the first two points.

Kansas City built on the early lead and managed to keep the lead for the majority of the set, but soon found themselves in another close contest when the Golden Eagles sent over a kill and tied the set once again at 11-11.

The Roos reestablished a strong lead after Roos junior Peyton Van Nest sent over back-to-back service aces, putting them up 18-13.

Even with a solid lead, the Roos became pressured. The Golden Eagles caught up to the Roos when Dunford sent over a kill that put Oral Robers in the lead, 24-23.

An attack error by Dunford tied the set 24-24 and gave the Roos the next two serves. Kansas City sophomore Odyssey Warren followed up a successful first point and ended the game with a kill.

The Roos took set three 26-24 and won the match 3-0.

Next Up

Kansas City will be on the road for the next three matches, looking to build on their 13-5 record. The team starts the trip at Western Illinois tomorrow, Oct. 14.