Chiefs suffer humiliating loss to Buffalo in primetime

Buffalo Bills vs Kansas City Chiefs at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. (Bill Wippert)

The Kansas City Chiefs fall to 2-3 after an embarrassing loss at home to Buffalo, as the Bills get their revenge for last year’s AFC Championship loss. 

The Bills did virtually everything right in their victory on Sunday night as they improved to 4-1. Meanwhile, the Chiefs find themselves in last place in the AFC West, something fans have not been accustomed to since Andy Reid has taken over as head coach. 

Bills’ quarterback Josh Allen torched the Chiefs’ pitiful secondary all night through the air, and their defense completely shut down Kansas City’s offense.

Allen finished the night with 315 yards and 3 touchdowns on just 15 completions, giving him a stellar quarterback rating of 140.7.

The Chiefs’ secondary looked like a bunch of lost puppies as it left Bills’ receivers wide open on two big touchdown plays. The defense continues to show they have absolutely no answer for anyone passing the football. 

The Chiefs also had zero pass rush without Chris Jones, who missed the game due to a wrist injury.

Conversely, the Bills’ defense has continued to impress all season long. Buffalo picked off Mahomes twice and returned one for six, also holding the Chiefs quarterback to just five yards per attempt.

Sunday night was one of Mahomes’ least memorable games in a Chiefs uniform in recent memory. He finished the game 33-54 for 272 yards, 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. His quarterback rating was 74.3, well below his season average of 119.

Mahomes has now thrown six interceptions this season in the first six games, already totaling as many as he threw all of last season.

The running game was non-existent for Chiefs as well, with Mahomes leading the way in rushing with 61 yards on the ground. Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed just seven times for 13 yards before leaving the game with a left knee injury.

The most impressive aspect of the Bills’ win was their defensive scheme and coverage on Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce. Buffalo ran a cover two defense with both safeties playing deep almost all night, totally shutting down the Chiefs’ high-powered offense.

The Chiefs will face the Washington Football Team on Sunday at 12 p.m. and look to even up their record.