The decision was made on May 23, 2024.
University of Missouri Board approves 3-5% tuition increase for 2024-2025 academic year
Evelyn Berger, Intern • July 12, 2024

The University of Missouri board of Curators has approved a 3-5% undergraduate and graduate tuition increase for the 2024-2025 academic year.   ...

Banner and KC skyline at Boulevardia.
Boulevardia 2024: Kansas City's ultimate urban music fest rocks Crown Center
Catie Walker, Staff Writer • June 20, 2024

Kansas City partied last weekend on Grand Boulevard at Crown Center for Boulevardia 2024, KC’s largest urban street music festival. The...

Taking place from June 7-9, the event featured performers, businesses and other organizations.
Kansas City PrideFest: A vibrant celebration of love and acceptance
Catie Walker and Evelyn BergerJune 11, 2024

Kansas City celebrated the LGBTQ+ community at the 47th annual PrideFest and parade this weekend at Theis Park.    “Pride gives the...

Fans return to the stands at UMKC games

UMKC will allow students back into sporting events while continuing to monitor COVID-19 protocols and guidelines. (Visit KC)

Arenas and stadiums have been quiet for quite some time now, but student-athletes will soon have their fans back to support them. This fall, UMKC will allow students back into sporting events and is encouraging students to attend these games.

Deputy Athletics Director for External Relations Curt Jacey shared Kansas City Athletics’ plans for the fall semester.

“Kansas City Athletics just began selling tickets for fall sports,” Jacey said. “Students are always free by reserving their tickets through the KC Athletics App utilizing their UMKC I.D.”

UMKC will continue to monitor COVID-19 protocols and guidelines to make sure students are safe while attending games.

“We will follow all rules in place by the city, county, state and university,” Jacey said. “We monitor this daily as they change frequently.”

During the pandemic, Kansas City Athletics had a difficult time with no students or fans allowed at events.

“Kansas City Athletics certainly missed having our great in-person fan atmosphere, including the Rowdy Roos student section. We look forward to students bringing their energy this upcoming season in support of their fellow Roo student-athletes,” Jacey said.

Despite losses in atmosphere and school spirit due to limited attendance, Kansas City Athletics found great financial success in selling advertisements.

“The pandemic inspired and provided greater opportunities for the department to work with our local partners in more creative ways, and provide support through engaging social media content,” Jacey said. “We create long-term partnerships with us for the long haul. During the 2020-21 year, the department achieved its highest fundraising year in department history, raising $2.2 Million.”

The athletics department has been busy devising new ways to attract students back into Swinney Center and Durwood Stadium this fall.

“The fall sports seasons will have numerous theme games, giveaways and social interaction opportunities to encourage students to be part of the Roo blue and gold spirit energized by participating in Kansas City Athletics events,” Jacey said. “We enjoy working with numerous departments and organizations to involve students in game days, and create an atmosphere that encourages students to build stronger connections to their alma mater.”

As part of its efforts, the athletic department has also created new ways for students to reserve and purchase their tickets for athletic events on campus.

“We started the new student securing ticket reservation program through our Kansas City Athletics app,” Jacey said. “We encourage students to secure their mobile tickets in advance. This helps the process upon arrival and the flow of student traffic into arenas.”

If students want to stay connected to what days games are on and other athletic events, they can find information at the Kansas City Athletics website, social media and UMKC RooGroups online.