Manuel Rivera and Brenna Oxley February 13, 2024

“iCarly” on Netflix is bringing nostalgia to old viewers

The first two seasons of “iCarly” are available to stream on Netflix. (Seventeen)

I found myself cackling in my living room as I saw the character Spencer from “iCarly” gasping for air trapped in his broken elevator while a fog machine spewed out smoke.

I’m 23 years old. This is a children’s show.

This breed of shenanigans is what stole the hearts of many young “iCarly” viewers when it first aired from 2007 through 2012. The show invokes a nostalgic feeling that is making it a popular streaming hit since Netflix added the show’s first two seasons.

It is surprisingly watchable years later as an adult. The humor stands strong despite the often cringe-worthy acting. A smoothie employee peddling pickles on a stick at inopportune moments had me falling out of my chair.

The show highlights many issues teens face from around the ages of 12 to 16, making it less relatable today for the original viewers. However, it remains a source of nostalgia. Some of these topics include puberty, dating, high school and push-up bras.

According to Newsweek, the streaming service CBS All Access, soon to be rebranded as Paramount+, has ownership over the show and is not likely to release the other four seasons to Netflix. The original release is likely a marketing strategy to get more viewers back on the “iCarly” train before the release of their new reboot series.

According to CNN, cast members Miranda Cosgrove, Jerry Trainor and Nathan Kress are uniting once again to create an “iCarly” remake, this time for adults. They have not yet announced the 2021 release date.

Actress Jennette McCurdy will not be starring in the remake due to her mixed feelings toward acting when she was young. On her podcast “Empty Inside,” she said her acting career was a response to a financial need at home. She was not passionate about acting in these roles and she never wanted to be famous. By age 10 or 11, McCurdy said she was the main income provider for her family.

“I’m so ashamed of the parts I’ve done in the past,” McCurdy said. “My friends at 15 weren’t like, ‘Oh cool, you’re on this Nickelodeon show.’ It was embarrassing.”

Learning that McCurdy was unhappy in her role did make the show less enjoyable to watch. It is unfortunate to see young people taking on the burdens of their family’s finances at an extremely young age.

After spending a day rewatching the show, I have become excited about the reboot. From her mischievous child role as Megan Parker in “Drake and Josh,” to the young, entrepreneurial teen in “iCarly,” to the adult reboot, Cosgrove is becoming a staple character in the lives of today’s young 20-something-year-olds. It feels like we grew up right alongside her.